Review by shreyagupta -- Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Review by shreyagupta -- Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by shreyagupta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shadow Game" by A.M. Adair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow Game by A.M. Adair is an action-based crime thriller starring Elle Anderson, a special CIA agent. The story follows Elle as she and her close-knit team go to Iraq to eliminate prominent ISIS members by identifying key influencers supporting the network via funding, religious influence and media propaganda. She is an expert in her field and capable of doing anything, but she works in a world where emotions and distractions are unacceptable. The book is a detailed description of their mission.

The story is written in the first-person narrative told by Elle. Elle is portrayed as a strong female protagonist who leads a small elite team. She is a capable assassin devoid of any distracting emotions. The book comprises a lot of action scenes, spy work and a twist in the end. I have read a few action-packed novels before, but none of them focused on demolishing terrorists, and I enjoyed reading this one. The author has done a commendable job in portraying the technical aspects of the story. The action sequences in the book were tense and well-executed. They were highly immersive and gripping, with a focus on what Elle is thinking and feeling. I like how Elle follows her instincts more than the information received.

Elle's teammates are described in detail, and they are not just supporting characters but play a significant role in the story. These characters were well written, each having a different personality matching with the tone of the novel and deepening the plot. The author has also added a little romance to keep the readers engaged.

I liked that author chose to maintain the authenticity of the story. For instance, he included the fact of how badly women are treated in Iraq. Elle had to pretend to be a fragile woman who cannot walk shoulder to shoulder with her pretend husband and was not allowed to speak to other males in the presence of her husband. The author also included scenes where women were sent off to beg on the streets by their husbands. These details gave the book a realistic touch.

This 298 pages long book is the first installment in the three novel series. It is perfect for people who enjoy military thrillers and spy genre. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as there was nothing that I disliked about it. I could not find any spelling mistakes. The book contains mild sexual content and a little bit of profanity, but it is included only to make the book realistic. Sensitive readers may want to skip this one as there are violent scenes and attempted rape. I for one, look forward to reading the next book.

Shadow Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”