Review by Mtibza eM -- The LadyKillers War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Review by Mtibza eM -- The LadyKillers War

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The LadyKillers War" by Peter Goldman, with Nicola Malatesta, PI.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The LadyKillers War is a crime thriller about domestic terrorism in the US written by Peter Goldman, with Nicola Malatesta, PI. Both these authors wrote a different, fascinating book with an outstanding storyline that will grip you from the get-go.

It all starts when Max Christian, a private investigator, celebrates with his wife, Meridew, and people who have been with her throughout the campaign for being the newly-elected Congresswoman. During the celebration, he receives a call from one of his co-workers in the Christian Enquiries, LLC, firm telling him about one alarming case that just happened that might affect him because his wife might be the next target. Worried and intrigued at the same time, Max asks to be told more about this case. He later learns about this organisation called The LadyKillers that takes credit for the killing of a Hispanic Congresswoman who also has just got elected in her position. When investigating further, Max finds out that this organisation is anti-women. They say women are subhuman whose job starts in the kitchen and ends as stay-at-home moms. That women have no business occupying higher positions in politics, and that all this started going wrong the day women were given the right to vote on 18 August 1920. That was when, according to them, the United States of America became what they call a “bitchocracy.”

Having to have underestimated the LadyKillers, at first, Max’s wife starts to take them seriously when an attempt to assassinate her fails. Will Max and his co-workers be able to stop this organisation from killing Meridew and maybe other more congresswomen? Who is behind this organisation? Who funds it? And most importantly, who is The Colonel? Is this purely domestic terrorism or there is more to it?

Answers to these questions can only be found from reading this fast-paced crime thriller novel. Every page gives birth to new questions whose answers are answered at the end. As the reader, you get to be on the front row as the private investigator, Max, and his team race against the clock to catch the masterminds behind this savagely ridiculous, but at the same time, dangerous organisation. I loved that Max himself as a protagonist is a no perfect saint. There are things that he does in this book that will raise the eyebrows of some readers. Some readers won’t love Max as much as they might have done at the beginning of the book, especially when it comes to his marriage. I loved it because it showed that no one is perfect. We all have flaws, and that as much as we are good at something, we are not so good in the other.

All characters were perfectly developed. They all contributed to the storyline, so readers don’t come across any useless character. A character that added a different spice to the book was Nick. Nick was one of Max’s colleagues. The way he conducted his work was so unconventional. He always got the job done, and he always got what he wanted, no matter what. Also, the way he extracted information using interrogation was scary, and at times amusing. He was a bad boy in the team, and I absolutely loved him. The book had a lot of dialogue and not as much narration. Readers won’t feel like the story is told to them, but they will feel like they are inside, taking part in it through the dialogue of the characters.

One thing I disliked about this book was that it lacked suspense. When villains like The Captain and The Colonel were introduced, instead of the perfect build-up surrounding them, the authors were quick to tell us about them and revealing too much, ruining the suspense. Although the plot was different and was something unexpected, to me, it came across as mediocre. I don’t think I will be interested in reading more books in this series, as this is book five in the series.

Anyway, it would have been a great read for me if I hadn’t come across multiple typographical errors that I came across within this book. There was even one misplaced opening quotation mark that made the sentence hard to read and make sense of. That’s why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There is heavy usage of vulgar and profane language, so young and immature readers should steer away from it. There are sex scenes, but they are not explicitly detailed. This book doesn’t discriminate against any religion. People who are interested in books about terrorism and extremist organisations should definitely get this book. As I have said, it is book five in the series, but it can be read as a standalone.

The LadyKillers War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

This seems like an extremely intriguing storyline, one I'd have a hard time putting down. I'll be sure to give it a try. Thank you for the detailed and thorough review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This seems like an interesting, action-packed book. Hopefully the author fixes the typographical errors. Thanks for the great review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Everything regarding this book sounds so intense and fascinating that the lack of suspense sounds a bit disappointing. Still, I might just look into it. Thank you for putting up such a detailed and engaging review!
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Might give this book a shot on account of your awesome review :D
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like an intriguing story; I hope the errors are corrected soon. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

What a shame about the grammar errors, sounds great though. Thanks for the beautiful and thorough review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

Political reads are not my cup of tea. However, the insight in your review made me curious and thus I would love to read it. Congratulations and thank you for the review.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

The storyline is very intriguing indeed, especially with the anti-women aspect of the organization. Thank you for such an engaging review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Naaya123 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 09:09 This seems like an extremely intriguing storyline, one I'd have a hard time putting down. I'll be sure to give it a try. Thank you for the detailed and thorough review!
smolbird wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 02:24 The storyline is very intriguing indeed, especially with the anti-women aspect of the organization. Thank you for such an engaging review.
Heidadela wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 22:29 Political reads are not my cup of tea. However, the insight in your review made me curious and thus I would love to read it. Congratulations and thank you for the review.
Thank you for reading and commenting. To those who will be reading it, I'd like to say happy reading! Enjoy.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Looks like an interesting plot, but the missing suspense gives me pause. However, it is a fast-paced novel, so I would discount it just yet. Thank for your work!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 18:35 This seems like an interesting, action-packed book. Hopefully the author fixes the typographical errors. Thanks for the great review!
MarianaFigueira wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 15:18 What a shame about the grammar errors, sounds great though. Thanks for the beautiful and thorough review!
SamaylaM wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 02:15 Everything regarding this book sounds so intense and fascinating that the lack of suspense sounds a bit disappointing. Still, I might just look into it. Thank you for putting up such a detailed and engaging review!
Thank you for connecting with me!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 05:43 Might give this book a shot on account of your awesome review :D
Wow! That's lovely to hear.
Prisallen wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:15 This does sound like an intriguing story; I hope the errors are corrected soon. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thank you for your comment
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

Mtibza eM wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 03:53
Naaya123 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 09:09 This seems like an extremely intriguing storyline, one I'd have a hard time putting down. I'll be sure to give it a try. Thank you for the detailed and thorough review!
[/quote

smolbird wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 02:24 The storyline is very intriguing indeed, especially with the anti-women aspect of the organization. Thank you for such an engaging review.
Heidadela wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 22:29 Political reads are not my cup of tea. However, the insight in your review made me curious and thus I would love to read it. Congratulations and thank you for the review.
Thank you for reading and commenting. To those who will be reading it, I'd like to say happy reading! Enjoy.
Thank you too. And for the feedback.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It's crazy how some people can still degrade women like the members of the LadyKillers do in this story.

Thank you for your honest opinion of this book.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”