Review by ikechukwuamarachi+55 -- Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by ikechukwuamarachi+55 -- Running the Sahara

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been passionate about something before? Were you able to do it successfully despite all the likely challenges you encountered? This book, Running the Sahara, narrates the experiences of an over fifty-year-old runner during a one-week marathon of 237 kilometers in southeastern Morocco. The race was known as Marathon des Sables. The author has a wife named Monika, who is supportive and serves as constant encouragement to him. He also has two daughters named Manuela and Simone. As a person passionate about long-distance running, which requires unlimited patience, he brought his passion to fruition with the help of his coach, wife, and friends. He was always open to learning and suggestions, and he practiced everything he learned from others. Do you think the author finished the race, or he broke down on the way? Read this book and uncover the answer.

The principal thing I loved about this book is that despite the author’s age, he had a clear passion for distance running, an understanding of what he wanted. He also backed it up with determination and practice. I loved that he was able to identify his strengths and worked towards his weaknesses. Also, the way the author explained and analyzed his experiences in different marathons he took part in was amazing and could even make one interested and intrigued by the idea of running. I also liked that he did not forget to appreciate the efforts of his coach, Timon Abegglen, and the contributions of his friends and wife. I also liked that the author displayed some pictures of the Marathon des Sables, as it will aid the readers with visual comprehension.

Honestly, I didn’t appreciate one thing about Running the Sahara. The way the author arranged the book made me a tad confused. This was because the author divided the book into six stages, but some stage numbers appeared twice. To be precise, this occurred in stages one and four.

I have no other choice but to give this book a rating of four out of four stars. This is based on the fact that the experience of Marcel Nickler in the Marathon des Sables was well explained and very detailed. This is also because the book was professionally edited, as I didn't find any obvious error.

I will recommend this book to lovers of sports and athletes that want to reach the peak of their career because the author mentioned some principles to achieving success.

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This book is definitely about someone with passion. I love that you capture that in your review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I don't like the instability of the author when narrating. At one point, the author-ultramarathoner sings his favorite song. Two sentences further, the author thinks of Switzerland. Nice idea but it seems to be superficially executed. Otherwise, good review.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I am still reading the book. I sometimes get bored when the author talks about things other than the Marathon des Sables. However, I'm still enjoying the book. Great review!
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Marcel Cantu wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 09:03 This book is definitely about someone with passion. I love that you capture that in your review.
Thanks for your comment
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

jomana_3 wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 13:19 I am still reading the book. I sometimes get bored when the author talks about things other than the Marathon des Sables. However, I'm still enjoying the book. Great review!
Thenks for the positive comment
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

markodim721 wrote: 07 May 2021, 11:11 I don't like the instability of the author when narrating. At one point, the author-ultramarathoner sings his favorite song. Two sentences further, the author thinks of Switzerland. Nice idea but it seems to be superficially executed. Otherwise, good review.
I felt the same at some point. Thanks for the comment
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

Having a supportive wife is an interesting point I got from the review. Thanks for an amazing revie. Well done.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Passion for what we do and support from our lobed ones are the most important motivation u need in life. Nice review.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Persistence is one thing I wish I have in abundance. I hope this book helps me develop more of this virtue. Good review.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Purpose gives birth to passion...you can only be passionate about what you actually love doing which is self discovery.This eventually results to success. I admired the qualities exhibited by the main character.Excellent work.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

Passion can help drive your purpose in life, so we should try to be passionate about our talents and God's given gift. Great review.
Chikapeter+110
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikapeter-110.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Chikapeter+110 »

Wow, what a determination! I really want to exhibit this kind of determination and achieve the accompanying success. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
Abiodungift+152
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abiodungift+152 »

I was attracted by the book cover. The book is very suspenseful and intriguing. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for a great review. Kudos.
Lawrence Chinedum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-chinedum.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Lawrence Chinedum »

Passion is one of the driving force of life. It's difficult to achieve what you don't have passion for. Will be reading thus book ASAP.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”