Review by Miraphery -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Miraphery -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset by Ace Bowers is a memoir telling the story of Ace from childhood through adulthood. It is a book that shows the significance of determination and change of mindset.

Ace is the last of the three children born to a couple, who were high school sweethearts. Ace's mother became pregnant, therefore, they both couldn't go to college. His father was working as a machinist and had to take care of the family with his meager salary. His parents abused alcohol and couldn't manage their finances. They were constantly in a state of lack and had to live on paychecks. In addition to their financial troubles, his parents had a habit of fighting every day. These led to feelings of shame and embarrassment for Ace. His mother, while trying to irritate her husband, would burn vanilla scented candles in their house, because she knew he hated the smell. To this day, Ace cannot stand the smell of vanilla because it brings back the ugly memories of his parents' fights.

Fast forward to Ace's adulthood, he was in a financial crisis because he never learned how to manage money. He was working as a janitor earning $6 per hour when his girlfriend broke the news of her pregnancy to him. This put Ace in a state of shock because he felt he was not ready to be a dad and didn't want his child growing up like he did. This will spur him to make certain decisions that will change his life forever.

The Mindset is a short read with themes of determination, family, friendship and mindset change. Ace revealed his secrets to the world, contained in this book were memories he tried so hard to forget. Most of the things he shared, he had never told anyone. It was a privilege to read his story and learn from it as well.

What I like most about this book is Ace's sincerity in sharing his deepest emotions no matter how bad they were. He had to go through a lot growing up and I felt concerned for him while reading his story; no child should ever have to go through that. I learned a lot and made some decisions regarding parenting. Constant financial troubles in a family can negatively affect the children. In Ace's case, he grew up not knowing how to manage his finances and was constantly in debt. He had to lie about things like his inability to get new uniforms and backpack, the reason their electricity was cut off, etc. He was always defensive and hiding behind a wall he raised to protect himself.

I liked some quotes in the book such as one of his boss' motto: “If you’re comfortable, you’re not growing.” Ace taught me that motivation is a key ingredient to success. I also learned that nothing is a waste of time if you learn something from it.

There isn't anything I disliked in particular but I wished the story was more detailed than it was. Mild profane language was used but there were no erotic scenes. I found some minor errors that didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book; it can be said to be professionally edited. I rate The Mindset by Ace Bowers 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of inspirational stories.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by zainherb »

I enjoyed this book too and I agree with your rating.

Lovely review!
:techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”