Review by Pluma -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Review by Pluma -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Pluma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ron Larsen is a young man with a background in foster care; nobody believes he has much of a future, least of all himself. Regina Russo is a professor with some interesting ideas about science and the world—ideas that don’t always go down well with her colleagues. But when the two meet by chance, Regina takes an interest in Ron, one that will change his life. She makes an effort to pull him off the unremarkable path he’s headed down, believing he is capable of much better. Though Ron would much rather make a living playing poker, he reluctantly returns to school under Regina’s influence. He spends hours listening to her explaining her theories on quantum physics and the technicalities of time and awareness. They later lose touch as Ron moves up in the world, doing well in his career with the skills he developed mostly due to Regina, until one day he receives a note that changes the course of his life yet again. As they continue working together, Ron begins to realize there is more to his mentor and her ideas than he ever knew, and the implications could have far-reaching and catastrophic consequences.

Timewise by Robert Leet follows Ron and his associations with Regina Russo and the scientific theories that are the center of her life. It is told in the first person, from Ron’s point of view.

I enjoyed my experience of reading this book. Not only did I discover very few errors, the tone and writing style are perfectly calibrated and the imagery is captivating; the vocabulary is good but understandable, and the author’s way of telling the story is engaging and believable, suited to the voice of the narrator. Additionally, the characterization was excellent; each character was well-developed, bringing their own unique element to the story with their interests and backgrounds. Each of the characters that Ron interacts with teaches him something about life and the way we view it, and these revelations were always beautifully told and touching. These elements made the book enjoyable to me, and I think the writing style was what I liked most about it.

I also liked the way the author took real scientific theories and expanded them into the basis for the story. Though the science discussed in the book was relatively complicated, the author did a good job of explaining it in a way that was easier for readers to understand, sometimes including diagrams and other visuals to help with comprehension.

Although there were several positives, I did have some issues with the book. The plot was quite slow and didn’t seem to have a definite climax or point. I also felt that the ending was unsatisfying. Thus, though it was beautifully written, the plot was lacking. Additionally, none of the characters was very likable, especially the narrator, who had a habit of using people for his own gain and dropping them when they no longer served him. Also, sometimes the characters’ actions didn’t make much sense; for instance, their motivations seemed unclear or insufficient when weighed against what they planned to do, and the plot felt unrealistic as a result. The book was also more monotonous than I expected; for a plot based on the concept of playing with time, you would think it would be more fast-paced and exciting, but it felt a bit flat. The parts of the book with the scientific explanations can feel long-winded, and if you aren’t interested in this kind of thing then the book may not appeal to you, as the science makes up a large part of the text.

Because the plot issues in particular interfered with my enjoyment of the book, I would give it a rating of three out of four stars. I wouldn’t give it any lower because the book was very well written and put together.

I recommend this book to those interested in science; if you don’t enjoy reading about physics and related theories, you probably won’t enjoy this book. Also, don’t pick it up if you are looking for a light read, as it requires some concentration and engagement to understand.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

Sometimes all it takes to bring us out of mediocrity is another person who believes in us. Great review.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Countess Tyrone And The Earls by may Cassidy

Post by Joy Phill »

Physica is one deep subject. I'll pass on this one though. Thanks for an informative review.
Olgamiell
2021 Reading Goal: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

I really enjoyed your review. I read this book and I liked it very much, but I totally agree with the points you've made.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks

Post by kandscreeley »

With the slow place and unsatisfying ending, I don't think this one is for me. I'm more into quick books that I just can't put down. Thanks though.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Think Big Scale Fast by Jolien Demeyer

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I think I will read this book. It sounds catching. Great review!
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: List Life by Sophie Jackson

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Ooh the lack of climax and unsatisfying endings are the worst (sorry that sounds inappropriate), but thank you so much for the detailed review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Slater678 »

I don't mind reading about with scientific thoughts. Great review, thanks.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Meeting Mozart by Howard Jay Smith

Post by Ellylion »

I absolutely agree, it was very hard to emotionally connect with the main character. Also, I had a hard time with all the science lol :) Thanks for a great review!
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Become A Covid-19 Superhero by Sheryl Crawford

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I'm glad the author included diagrams. I would need them! It seems like an involved story, what with the scientific theories explained without making the plot monotonous. Thanks for your review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like the author would do well to take your advice and rework the book to improve it. It certainly seems to have potential, but it has too many issues right now for me. Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Truth has arrived by Steven Randolph

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I enjoyed reading your review! It is always great when a book is a fun read that uses an engaging tone. Thank you for your well written review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”