Review by Viczboy16 -- Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Review by Viczboy16 -- Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by viczboy16 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gardening with Guns by AJ Wootton is a well-written emotional memoir that talks about the traumatic life in which Amber had encountered whilst growing up and in her marital life as an adult. Amber is a married career woman with three kids and a wonderful job. Everything seems perfect in her life. This memoir reveals the challenges Amber faced in her relationship with her husband, brothers, dad, stepmothers, stepfather, and biological mother.

The book kicks off with Amber waiting for an interview in her car for a new job which is less time-demanding, enabling her to have more time for her family. She then proceeds on vacation with her husband and her kids after securing her new job. While on her vacation, she receives a call about the death of a family member. She unites with her two brothers to plan the funeral of her late family member, and this brings back bitter memories of her past. She also finds out that her husband isn’t exactly who she thinks he is, as he lives a secret life, and her suspicion about him becomes a fact. This further inflicts pain and hurt in their marriage. Now, she contemplates divorce, the major element in her traumatic childhood, but hopes the effect doesn’t affect her loving children. Does she end her marriage or endures the pain for her children's sake?

AJ Wootton did a wonderful job in writing this memoir in the form of a novel. She tells us her story in the first-person narrative. The book is divided into 51 short but interesting chapters, with each chapter title linking to what the chapter talks about. For example, chapter 9 is titled “FOX IN THE HENHOUSE," and it narrates how Amber was sexually abused in their residence by Glen, her stepfather.

Initially, I felt I shouldn’t have picked this book because I felt memoirs and biographies could be a bit boring, but I was highly disappointed. The details she included made the memoir really interesting. For instance, the fact that she included the actual names of cars in the book, such as Nissan Murano, Corvette, and Mustang, left me smiling. I enjoyed how she seamlessly moved from present to past and back to present while telling her story. Despite her traumatic experiences, she was very optimistic in her story, and she gave her readers a form of hope. As a result, I had a picture of her as a strong woman. In summary, the book tells us that bad-parenting and divorce, in most cases, can be traumatic to children while growing up.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves a full rating as it was professionally edited. I found no errors in spelling, punctuation, and grammar. I also enjoyed the writing style used by the author. I recommend this book to lovers of memoirs and biographies. As stated earlier, the book is highly emotional with scenes that contain suicide, sexual abuse, child abuse, and homosexuality, hence not suitable for children.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed review. This sounds like an appealing memoir filled with pain and struggles. The title is quite interesting for a biography, too.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:

Post by viczboy16 »

Sou Hi wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 01:01 Thanks for your detailed review. This sounds like an appealing memoir filled with pain and struggles. The title is quite interesting for a biography, too.
I agree with you. It is highly emotional.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Excellent review, pleasant to read and concise great work keep it up :D
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I loved your detailed review. I'm also a bit hesitant when it comes to reading memoirs, but I think you sold me on this one. I can't begin to imagine the struggles she went through. Thanks for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
viczboy16
Currently Reading:

Post by viczboy16 »

RayRuff wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 03:30 Sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for your review.
Thanks for your feedback. It is really interesting.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:

Post by viczboy16 »

:techie-studyingbrown:
smolbird wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 06:36 I loved your detailed review. I'm also a bit hesitant when it comes to reading memoirs, but I think you sold me on this one. I can't begin to imagine the struggles she went through. Thanks for the review!
It's a memoir but the author made it seem like a novel. Memoirs can be a bit boring but this is highly engaging and interesting.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:

Post by viczboy16 »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 04:53 Excellent review, pleasant to read and concise great work keep it up :D
Thanks for your positive feedback.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review! I must say, the title looks inviting.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:

Post by viczboy16 »

Mtibza eM wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 11:47 Great review! I must say, the title looks inviting.
The title looks inviting and the book is worth reading.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This book seems like it would make me cry. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

Moving forward and backward in time sustains my interest in a book. Thanks for highlighting the key features in this book and for a great review.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I usually don't read biographies, but you convinced me. In my opinion, it is important to address such issues and not be dead silent. As you said, it can give hope to other sufferers. Can’t wait to read it!! Thank you for your great review. 
viczboy16
Currently Reading:

Post by viczboy16 »

63tty wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 23:25 This book seems like it would make me cry. Great review.
I didn't cry though but I believe you wouldn't get to the point of crying, unless you are very emotional.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”