Review by Mikeasmara12 -- Always Before Me by John Servant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mikeasmara12
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikeasmara12.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Review by Mikeasmara12 -- Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by Mikeasmara12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Always Before Me" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is a book that narrates a journey that every true Christian believer goes. The trials and tribulations that face the believer to grow, unexpected small events that change to life’s journey , unexplained drift in life that is interpreted as God’s will that completely changes everything. The story starts with visitation of young gentleman to prison in the cast of his uncle, a catholic priest who is wrongfully accused sexually abusing a female penitent during a confession. The book narrates back the life story of Fr.Paul and his last years in prison in detail. There is also another priest as a character in the book who is Fr. Anthony who is also deny accusation of molesting young boys and to protect the reputation of the church the bishop denied any assistance in the legal prosecution and he was assigned in the prison as a Chaplain. Father Paul is much older and wiser than Father Anthony and guides him to gracefully accept his post in the prison and let go his dream to be academician.

I believe the prison life is not explained as it should be. There should be much more trials to Father Paul and also the positive impact of Father Paul on his fellow inmate could be explained more and more examples could be added to show how he is silent preaching and his masses changed the lives and personal behavior of the most despaired souls.
From my point of view, being a Christian is what is depicted in this book. There is no rainbows or sunshine always, there is no angelic voice or vision to keep a believer all the way to the heaven. But there are times of tribulation that determines those who are true believers and rewards who are patient in those times.at the beginning of Christian life it may seem easy and paved road but when the world alienates, despises, condemns wrongfully the believer. The book explains clearly the hardships that every true Christian faces and how true believer should bear the cross.

I rate the book Always before me by John Servant to 3 out of 4.
I think the book is appropriate for both Christian and non- Christian or non- religious readers. For the non- religious readers it gives a lesson that during a hardships, it is better if we stay calm and focus on what is positive .The Christians have a lot to learn from the character Fr.Paul his dedication, love and faith to Christ and also tolerance to the evil even he was wrongfully convicted as a criminal he did not object it he accepted it gracefully by completely submitting to God’s will.

Always Before Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”