Review by Kristina Louise -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristina Louise
2021 Reading Goal: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristina-louise.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by Kristina Louise -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kristina Louise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love this book! McDowell By William H. Coles is one of those books you just can’t put down. This novel is so well written that you’ll be saying “I see what he did there!” The story of a man so consumed with money, power and social status that he can’t seem to understand why bad things happen to him. The author tells about a renowned surgeon and mountain climber whose actions at times seem unfathomable to his family, colleagues and the media. It’s only after a series of unfortunate events that the main character, after months of isolation, finally starts to see things from a more humble perspective. There’s a point in the story where McDowell comes face-to-face with his demons and is forced to look inward and outward for answers and clarity.

One of the many underlying themes in this book involves the media’s representation of a person or situation. As the story progresses, the author shows how the angle taken by the media may influence a viewer’s or reader’s opinion. What was brilliant about this novel was that the author was able to demonstrate this bias through his own writing and character development, leaving the reader with a lot of food for thought. William H. Coles provides the reader with plenty of opportunities to love, hate and despise the characters and then love them again only to reconsider their actions. There’s a bit of everyone reflected in this story; the author gives the reader an open door to self-reflection and exploration of how we interpret what we see and hear based on the angle presented.

In addition to an ever-evolving and expanding theme, this book charms the reader with life-lessons about everything from blaming others for our misfortunes to understanding what’s really important in life. I enjoyed the storyline; it’s one of those books where you think you know what’s coming next but you’re not even close. The story gracefully weaves in and out of the lives of the characters creating a web of ethical and moral dilemmas the reader is left to contemplate.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. There’s not much I didn’t like about this book. Aside from 2 or 3 grammatical and spacing problems, it’s obvious this book has been professionally edited. Other than that I thought the book was well-thought-out and had a nice flow. There was definitely some bad language and sexual content in this novel but nothing too explicit; no more than any other tastefully written novel you’ll find out there.

This book would appeal to most adult audiences, particularly those who enjoy drama and suspense novels. Due to some bad language and sexual content, I wouldn’t recommend this book to young readers or those who are sensitive to that kind of thing. I would recommend this book to any bookworm out there looking for an easy read with nice flow and storyline.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”