Review by Mtibza eM -- East Wind, 2nd edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The LadyKillers War
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Review by Mtibza eM -- East Wind, 2nd edition

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uri is an Israeli, and one of the few members of the Metsada, the Special Operations arm of Mossad. In one of his recent, prior mission, Uri had extracted notes from a Hezbollah operative that had on oddly out of place word, “Opera.” After being summoned to the headquarters in Tel Aviv by General K, Uri is briefed about his next mission. He is told that ‘Opera’ is a software package that allows access to the web pages, which terrorists use to communicate with each other. These websites, which are disguised as academic websites, are based in the United States of America. So Uri is to go there to work with the FBI to investigate further. Lara is an American, and she's with the FBI. She is highly skilled in computers. She has appended computer programs, making them more efficient in monitoring, and identifying emails and messages that are suspiciously linked to terrorism. She works well with Uri; she even falls in love with him. Things go south real quick when there is an explosion in Marina del Rey harbour in Los Angeles, and they both race against the clock to catch these terrorists before more people can die.

Walid is a Pakistani who got recruited by Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Hezbollah, in 1999 when he was only 16 years old. He is now based in Los Angeles, studying computer sciences, but is still under the thump of Nasrallah. Hossein is an Iranian who also got recruited by Hezbollah. He studied nuclear engineering at North Carolina State University. While doing his Master’s program, he was researching how to make an atomic bomb, on the side, secretly. He now successfully creates a bomb and delivers it to Walid, who takes it to Marina del Rey harbour and detonates it. Will the United States government give in to the demands made by Hezbollah? If not, can Lara and Uri find these terrorists in time? What will happen to Walid now that he has killed thousands of innocent people?

East Wind, 2nd edition is the first instalment in the Uri and Lara series written by Jack Winnick. It is a crime thriller that is jam-packed with action and suspense. This book’s plot is so raw and authentic that it never failed to keep me on edge with its twists and turns. It is so poignant that readers will have no choice but to flip the pages because they would be eager to know what will happen next.

I loved everything about this book, especially this duo of Lara and Uri. Both these individuals complimented and balanced each other. Uri had a big experience in fieldwork and combat, while Lara was experienced in computers. I loved how professional they were. They never let the feelings they had for each other cloud their judgement or distract them on the job. Jack Winnick developed these protagonists so realistically-well because they all had their doubts about falling in love with each other. Uri had an unfinished business with his ex, while Lara was not so sure about dating a colleague. It was also fun to witness the politics between the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI. The quarrels between these two over the jurisdiction of this case made the story more interesting.

I understand why the author titled this book East Wind; it is an interesting feature that you will have to read this book yourself to find out about it.

The narration was well balanced with the dialogue. The author painted scenes so accurately vivid that readers will be drawn inside the story; they won’t feel like they are outside looking in. The dialogue was real and had no glitches. It was flowing so well that I was jumping from one character to another with ease. It was written in the third-person point of view. There are many characters who are well-developed, with their backstories provided so that readers can understand them. Indeed the author’s penmanship is something to be marvelled at.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. It seems to be professionally edited as I came across no grammatical and typographical errors. There are very few swear words, which are far between. There is a scene that is graphically described so readers who are faint-hearted might feel slightly uncomfortable. Sexual scenes are few but not explicitly detailed. I rate East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a job well done. I recommend it to readers who are into crime thriller and suspense. Treason, government cyber-monitoring, conflicts in the Middle East, and of course, terrorism and mass-murdering are themes that this book is centred on.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: A Pathway to Freedom by Milca Meruelo

Post by Joy Phill »

The plot seems complicated and Lara and Uri appear interesting. Thanks for your recommendation.
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Post by Eutoc »

I also love how focused they are, Uri and Lara didn't let their emotions interfere with their profession. Nice review
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

There is nothing better to me than a book that keeps you at the edge of your seat, and thanks to your review I am very intrigued about this book. The characters also sound amazing, so I will be looking into reading this story. Thank you so much for the recommendation!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I have read many positive reviews about the Uri & Lara series, and your review once again confirms that this first instalment is an enjoyable read!
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Upeksha »

I'm a huge fan of crime thrillers, yet I don't feel as I would enjoy this plot. Anyway, I enjoyed your review a lot and thanks for the recommendation.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by topdan30 »

Lovely review. I love it when characters balance each other.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Mtibza eM »

Joy Phill wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 14:21 The plot seems complicated and Lara and Uri appear interesting. Thanks for your recommendation.
topdan30 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 07:45 Lovely review. I love it when characters balance each other.
Yvonne Monique wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 13:40 I have read many positive reviews about the Uri & Lara series, and your review once again confirms that this first instalment is an enjoyable read!
Thank your taking time to read this review, and commenting on it. I really appreciate that. This book is definitely a must read. Characterization is indeed impeccable.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Upeksha wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 07:28 I'm a huge fan of crime thrillers, yet I don't feel as I would enjoy this plot. Anyway, I enjoyed your review a lot and thanks for the recommendation.
Oh, I definitely understand. Thank you for reading and commenting. :tiphat:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Ashley-Osuna wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 11:41 There is nothing better to me than a book that keeps you at the edge of your seat, and thanks to your review I am very intrigued about this book. The characters also sound amazing, so I will be looking into reading this story. Thank you so much for the recommendation!
Yes, a book that is unpredictable is definitely enjoyable. Thank you for reading and commenting.
Eutoc wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 10:02 I also love how focused they are, Uri and Lara didn't let their emotions interfere with their profession. Nice review
The professionalism they displayed is definitely noteworthy.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

You have piqued my interest with your action-filled and catchy review. Now I have to read the book :). Thank you for your recommendation and your great work!
Dee_Robert
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Suspense, Detectives and action. It sounds like a book I'm going to enjoy. Great review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book sounds like it'll really keep the reader on edge. Very thrilling! Thanks for your review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 16:15 You have piqued my interest with your action-filled and catchy review. Now I have to read the book :). Thank you for your recommendation and your great work!
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 10:48 This book sounds like it'll really keep the reader on edge. Very thrilling! Thanks for your review.
Thank you for reading my review, and commenting. I hope you enjoy reading it.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Dee_Robert wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 02:08 Suspense, Detectives and action. It sounds like a book I'm going to enjoy. Great review.
You are definitely going to enjoy reading it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”