Review by Yvonne Monique -- Shield Down by William de Berg

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Review by Yvonne Monique -- Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Yvonne Monique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shield Down by William de Berg is a science fiction novel that describes the events before and after a succession of cataclysmic gamma bursts on the 24th of April 2032. Years earlier, Professor James Templeton and Nicholas Pavlich wrote an article about Magnetar 0245+05, the closest known Magnetar to earth, in which they explained the danger of gamma outbursts of this magnetar coinciding with the reversal of the earth’s magnetic field. Unknown to the professor, many governments around the world took his theory seriously and prepared underground hideouts. The reader will follow the preparations made before the outburst and the dramatic events that follow. Will humanity survive?

Science fiction novels and apocalyptic stories are my favorites, so I was delighted to be given the opportunity to review this book. I am absolutely amazed by the thorough research that the author did to write this novel. Most of this story is based on science. The story is supported by 199 footnotes, showing the truthfulness of the scientific background information. Whilst reading, I found myself continuously checking the footnotes and wondering if this could be a true description of humanity’s final days. Additionally, the character development was exceptional. The protagonists’ scientific careers are described in detail, making it difficult to believe that these are just fictional characters. I even checked the internet to find out if James Templeton is a real astrophysicist. Furthermore, William de Berg effortlessly describes a total time span of more than 200 years by cleverly using flashbacks and fast-forwarding to future generations of the initial survivors.

There is not much to dislike about this book. The story only slacks a bit after the first outburst, taking another 3 chapters before the events start to evolve. And I would have liked to know what happened to Carletta Jackson, one of the first scientists that the reader is introduced to. The reader is not informed about her fate.

This is a well-edited book with only five errors in its 235 pages. It might be clear that I enjoyed this read and gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Shield Down is a believable story, convincing the reader that such a disaster could truly happen in the future. I recommend this book to science fiction lovers and people who wonder what the next mass extinction might look like. I do not recommend this story to people who prefer fast-paced novels as the events in this book are described thoroughly and take their time to evolve.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by topdan30 »

I love apocalyptic novels will sure be on the look out for this. Great review
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I just finished reading the novel, and I agree with your rating, it is perfect! I enjoyed reading your thorough review, great job!
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Magic Blue Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: What They Bring by Willis

Post by MsH2k »

I wonder if there ever are “just fictional characters.” :wink: This sounds like a well-researched sci-fi story. Thank you for a great review!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Maya Angelou
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Drianie »

I recently reviewed this book as well, and it surprised me by how believable it all felt. I agree with your rating and also found the footnotes extremely interesting and helpful. Your review was interesting to read. Thanks!
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: A Pathway to Freedom by Milca Meruelo

Post by Joy Phill »

4 stars by two different reviewers is a pointer for me to read this book. Thanks for your recommendation and a great review.
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of apocalyptic stories. Great review, though!
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Body in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by RayRuff »

Thank you for your review! This book sounds very interesting!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

topdan30 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 07:55 I love apocalyptic novels will sure be on the look out for this. Great review
You won't be disappointed if you read this one. Thanks for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”