Review by shreyagupta -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by shreyagupta -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by shreyagupta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise by Robert Leet is a sci-fi novel revolving around Ron Larsen's life and the fascinating concept of time-traveling. The book opens up with 14-year-old Ron trying to earn money by making side bets on his cheese matches, where he meets Regina Russo. Regina is a physics professor at the Northern University, and she seems to have radical ideas about various physics concepts, especially time. The story follows Ron as he goes to college under Regina's mentorship and develops a keen interest in mathematics. He later chooses to research Fractals and earns a living by using this mathematical concept in the stock market. The story continues as Ron and Regina reconnect after several years, and Ron is roped into a dangerous and secretive physics experiment.

The story is told in the first-person narrative by Ron. Since it is science fiction, there are a lot of theory lectures. Though the author has used simple terms to explain various scientific topics, someone with no inclination towards scientific theories may find them boring. The novel's underlying theme is 'awareness creates time,' which is a new concept and piqued my interest. The storyline is intriguing as the author has created the idea of predicting the future. The concept of using mathematical calculations and physics laws to predict the future made the story believable.

The novel becomes engaging after the initial part as we meet a rogue FBI agent obsessed with Regina. He believes them to be terrorists and tries to get them arrested on multiple occasions. Ron and Regina are forced to conduct their experiment in secret because they are afraid of the consequences if someone else gets their hands on the project. All the commotion and the narrow escapes kept the thrill intact.

Regina Russo plays a significant role in this novel. She is a physicist and mentor to Ron. I liked how the author chose to empower a female character and portrayed her as smart, ambitious and independent. But like everywhere else, Regina's work is not taken seriously, and she is denied credit for her work under false accusations. This added to the authenticity of the novel and made it relatable. There were many other female characters, and all of them had the determination to follow their passions.

What bothered me the most was that even though the author tried to include many side characters, they were introduced with minimal character descriptions and no back story. It seemed as if the author's main focus was on writing the theoretical lectures. He gave very little details about other things happening in Ron's life. For instance, it seemed as if Ron fell in love, got married, and then went through a divorce in just 1 page. It looked like the author put very little effort into building these scenes and did not discuss the characters' emotional states. There are many theory lectures on various topics like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, string theory, and wave-particle duality. These made the book boring, and many of them had no relation to the book's central theme and could have been omitted.

The novel is perfect for those who enjoy science fiction and are interested in discussing various physics theories. I did not find any spelling mistakes in the book. Since I found the book boring in some places and due to the lack of proper explanation of the scenes and poor character development, I am awarding the novel 3 out of 4 stars.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”