Review by sssns -- Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sssns
Currently Reading: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by sssns -- Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog

Post by sssns »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog" by Michelle Lander Feinberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cooper is a dog adopted from an animal shelter. Unlike the typical pet, dog tricks are not his thing. What he enjoys are the fun activities of the family. He acts and thinks like a human. Find out what happens when they tell Cooper he is a dog.

Please Don’t Tell Cooper He’s A Dog is a colorful storybook for children and advocates pet adoption. It is the creative collaboration of the author, Michelle Lander Feinberg, and illustrator, Anna Mosca.

The words rhyme, which helps young readers get familiar with the language. There are only two lines on each page, allowing enough space for the illustrations. It produces a neat and organized layout. The texts do not overlap with the drawings, so it does not strain the eyes while reading. The illustrations relate to the lines on every page. The contrast in colors gives the spotlight to Cooper. The background uses pastel colors while Cooper is in solid black. The texts are also in black, but Cooper still stands out. The first item a child spots on a page is Cooper. The thoughtful composition of the pages and the use of colors is what I like most.

Parents will appreciate the book. Aside from the advocacy mentioned above, the story teaches children that having pets comes with responsibilities. Kids should care for their pets and provide attention to them. Likewise, young readers will enjoy the story. The activities of the family are familiar and relatable. The activities are not limited to playtime. There are also school work, exercise, sports, and entertainment, to name a few. The siblings in the story seem to have ages that are within the target audience. It makes the kids identify with them. Also, there are no obnoxious characters in the story.

The title is catchy and funny. However, my concern is the possible interpretation. It may sound like not accepting who we are and acting like someone we are not. I think we have to embrace who we are and let others accept us, despite our differences. It is the only thing I dislike in the book. Adults may explain it to the young audience.

The language is clean and free from any offensive words. This book is suitable for children between the ages 2-8 years old. Reading with the whole family will be more enjoyable. Animal shelters may equally find this book helpful in encouraging pet adoption.

The editing is neat except for minimal and almost negligible punctuation issues. Although I have some reservations about the title, the book achieves its goal in promoting its advocacy. It uses the creative combination of text and illustration to get the message across. That said, I gladly give 4 out of 4 stars.

Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Jon Bragg Blue Essence by Kenney Myers
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is one of the best children's book around. I agree with your analysis and rating. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I had a great time reading this book too, and appreciated the fun rhymes. I fully agree with the rating and your review.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I just finished reviewing this book and I loved reading your point of view. I agree with you 100%! Nice work!
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html

Post by smolbird »

This book sounds so endearing. Don't worry, I won't tell Cooper! :lol2:
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Tiamat's Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Lion’s Share by Dr Yusra Said Ammar

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a nice book for children to understand that adopting a pet is a serious matter. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Post by Eutoc »

A dog that acts like a human! I wish my dogs would be this smart, maybe one day I could get to have a conversation with them. Lol. Thanks for the nice review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
sssns

Post by sssns »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 01:27 This is one of the best children's book around. I agree with your analysis and rating. Thanks for the wonderful review.
It has a nice message and execution. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
sssns

Post by sssns »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 02:38 I had a great time reading this book too, and appreciated the fun rhymes. I fully agree with the rating and your review.
It's so nice you enjoyed it too. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
sssns

Post by sssns »

smolbird wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 05:21 This book sounds so endearing. Don't worry, I won't tell Cooper! :lol2:
Of course, it's just between us. We won't tell Cooper :wink: Thanks for stopping by.
sssns

Post by sssns »

NetMassimo wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 06:01 This seems like a nice book for children to understand that adopting a pet is a serious matter. Thank you for your great review!
True. There are things to be considered when adopting a pet. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
sssns

Post by sssns »

Eutoc wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 08:51 A dog that acts like a human! I wish my dogs would be this smart, maybe one day I could get to have a conversation with them. Lol. Thanks for the nice review.
That could be something to write about too :lol: Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn

Post by Chizioboli »

I once watched a cartoon if acsquirrel wanting to be a dog. Now this book!! This is very hilarious... how could it be? Its unbelievable and hilarious. Thank you for this amazing review. Looking forward to reading this book so I can have a hearty laugh😂
Mvictoria
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Bridge by David W. Scheer

Post by Mvictoria »

I think you make a good point about accepting who we are...I love that you pointed that out in your review. I really enjoyed this book, and I’m glad you did, too!
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Upeksha »

Sounds like a perfect book for children's mindsets. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”