Review by shravsi -- Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Review by shravsi -- Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog" by Michelle Lander Feinberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most dogs would feel delighted when you take them to the park but not our Cooper. He would rather watch a ballet performance than chase balls or sticks. He has traveled Spain, has devoured croissants in Paris, and has shopped at Milan. That too, all by himself. He sits with his family at the dining table for dinner; he prefers a sofa to his dog bed. Overall, Cooper has forgotten that he is a dog.

To think such a dignified dog could be unruly is mind boggling. Even so, Cooper was a little wild when his human parents rescued him from a shelter. His parents (along with their five kids), showered so much love on him that Cooper forgot his wild ways. With little training and lots of attention, Cooper became well mannered. Now, he thinks he is human and the sixth child of his parents. His parents are now worried we might accidentally remind Cooper that he is a dog. So, they are asking us, the readers, to guard this secret for the sake of Cooper.

Now that you know about Cooper, the hero of Please Don’t Tell Cooper He's A Dog, let's learn about the book's author and Cooper’s mom, Michelle Lander Feinberg. Michelle is an attorney and a lifelong animal advocate. She strongly supports animal adoptions from animal shelters and rescue groups. This book is her way of shedding light on pet adoptions. She has written a sweet story that rhymes for kids to enjoy. Along with the cute story, there are beautiful illustrations by Anna Mosca. The painting style illustrations made this book lively and animated.

The story itself is short but, for every two to four lines, there was an illustration. The rhyming style will appeal to kids, and the illustrations will make the story amusing. There were no errors or profanity or vulgarity and the book is well edited. Thus, I will rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. Teachers could read this book to the class, parents can read to or with their children, or you could cuddle with your pet and read this heart-warming story aloud. There is also a website link to pet shelters in the end. I would have liked more stories about Cooper. But, considering the usual length of nursery rhymes, I cannot complain much. Also, the illustrations make up for the short length of the story.

People generally do not adopt rescue pets; when they do, they prefer pups as it is easier to train them. But this book provides another view: even rescue dogs, who are a little unruly and difficult to handle, could become our adored family member with little training and lots of care. This book is suitable for 2 to 8 years old. Kids will enjoy this sweet story along with learning empathy. And Michelle, I will remember to treat Cooper as a human if he chances upon on my country on his next tour. His secret is safe with me.

Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by Chizioboli »

Thank you the fantastic review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”