Review by Miraphery -- The Trafficking Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Miraphery -- The Trafficking Murders

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Trafficking Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In search of a better life, people migrate to new places. However, some have taken advantage of others' plights to enslave them. This is what Trafficking Murders: The Inspector Sheehan Mysteries Book 5 by Brian O'hare is about.

A student is murdered and dropped off at a man's garden. This opens up a series of investigations regarding the murder. Inspector Sheehan sets off to work with his team, to find clues relevant to solving the case. Subsequent murders take place and it seems they all have a link.

Alina is a young girl whose hopes of a better future got crushed by a trafficking team. They instilled fear in their victims, making escape difficult. Is there any connection between the trafficking team and those responsible for the murder? Could Alina escape these dangerous people?

This is a mystery book about trafficking, murder, crime investigations, etcetera. It is the fifth book of the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries series. It is a stand-alone novel. The story is told in the third-person narrative. The author showed extensive knowledge concerning the subjects discussed in the book. I learned a few things while reading.

My favorite aspect of this book was the search for clues to solve the murders. I loved how Inspector Sheehan's team worked together. I loved the scenes where they questioned people and watched their reactions. I felt I was part of their investigation and would wonder if the person being questioned was the murderer based on their reactions.

The character development was done well. All the characters featured were relevant to the plot. Inspector Sheehan is a likable character. His leadership skill was top notch and this helped to get the job done faster. He was good at his job. I like this particular saying of his, "Everyone is a suspect until proven otherwise".

One thing I disliked was the confusion brought about by the use of the characters' first and last names. Denise Stewart, for example, was mostly referred to as Stewart but sometimes she would be called Denise. This applies to other characters and it was quite confusing. I had to go back to the initial page where they were introduced several times to clarify who a character was. It affected my overall enjoyment of the book.

Judging that I only observed an error, the book is professionally edited. It contains profane languages and is, therefore, not adequate for younger people. There were scenes of sexual abuse and violence; they were not graphic though. I rate Trafficking Murders: The Inspector Sheehan Mysteries Book 5 3 out of 4 stars. It lost a star because of the confusion stated above. I would have given it a 3.5 if I could. If you love murder mysteries, this is the book for you.

The Trafficking Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kelyn
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Hell's Waiting Room and Other Stories by David Welch
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

Unfortunately, murder mysteries are not a genre I generally read. However, the author sounds accomplished, and I'm sure the book will find its readership among those who like the genre. That it is well-written and error-free will surely help in this. Thanks for the review!
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Miraphery »

Kelyn wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 22:20 Unfortunately, murder mysteries are not a genre I generally read. However, the author sounds accomplished, and I'm sure the book will find its readership among those who like the genre. That it is well-written and error-free will surely help in this. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for dropping by to comment.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Lovely review. I've read only one of the books in this series and I quite enjoyed it. Based on your review, I might as well give this one a go, thanks for the recommendation.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”