Review by CaptainTurtle8 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaptainTurtle8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainturtle8.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by CaptainTurtle8 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by CaptainTurtle8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset by Ace Bowers is an inspirational and motivational memoir. Ace Bowers grew up in less than ideal circumstances in California. His life was not easy or very fun growing up in his household. His mother had her moments of being a good mom, but had a substance abuse problem that made life difficult for everyone in their family. His dad was better, but also had issues. Ace’s parents were not able to provide financially or emotionally the way parents are supposed to. They spent their money on cigarettes and alcohol which left little for necessities. Ace was embarrassed and ashamed to have friends over to their house because of their circumstances. He preferred spending time at his friends’ houses so that nobody would see what it was like for him at home. His parents would fight a lot when his mother would drink. Their utilities would frequently be shut off because bills were unable to be paid. Ace had one brother and one sister. His brother easily fell into a life of crime and would spend most of his life in and out of jail and prison. His sister escaped the house after graduating high school and moved on to college. Ace was left by himself to navigate life with his parents without the help of his siblings. He eventually caught a break with the support of his aunt in Oregon after he finished high school. She bought him a used car and offered him a place to live, rent free, while he figured out what to do next. This is where he would end up working a janitorial position that nobody else seemed to want, while making minimum wage. He also got a roommate that would end up as his wife, Yuka. With the starting point of this job, Ace was able to work his way up in life and jobs because of his amazing work ethic. He worked hard and would do jobs that nobody else wanted to do. He would put time and effort into learning new things that he could volunteer his services for in order to work his way up the ladder. Ace managed to overcome his life circumstances in order to make a better life for himself and his family. The second he found out Yuka was expecting their child, he stepped things up several notches. He buckled down and did everything a person is supposed to do in order to get things on the right track to give himself and his family the best life he could.

My favorite aspect of this book was the fact that it was so relatable and personable. Reading the book made me feel as if I was sitting down with Ace and he was literally talking to me about his life. I felt like his story was great at drawing me in and holding my attention. He said right up front what it was going to be about and I wanted to know how he went from poor to wealthy. The personal details about his life are very similar to so many others.

Another aspect that I enjoyed was how motivational the book was. The fact that Ace came from a family with little money, alcoholism, and criminal tendencies but was able to overcome those obstacles to create a better life, is very inspiring. I think reading a story like Ace’s can give other people in the same situation a reason to believe that they can do it as well. Sometimes one story with a positive outcome is the only push a person needs to start making changes in the right direction.

There was nothing about this book that I didn’t enjoy. This story was full of hope and inspiration for others. Ace proves that hard work and determination work wonders when you stick with something. There were a lot of different ways that Ace’s life could have gone, but he chose to make positive changes and put in the work to make his life better.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because there was so much to Ace’s story that it was hard not to fall right into his world. I would recommend this book to anyone that struggles with making positive changes in their life. It would also be a good read for anyone that had a tough childhood and wants proof that the cycle can be broken. This is a great story about family, hard work, determination, forgiveness, empathy, and even a little romance.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Emma Ursulean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ursulean.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emma Ursulean »

I also read this book and found it motivational and inspirational. You wrote a great review, but I think your summary was too detailed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”