Review by Victoria Copsey -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Victoria Copsey -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by Victoria Copsey »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz conjures a world of magic, mystery, knights, nobility and adventure in the mind-of-the-reader. This world draws the reader in until images of powerful mages, medieval towns and mysterious characters engulf them. Like all great fantasy novels, the author crafts a complex universe and places his own original spin on classic mythological creatures. This book is the first of the We are Voulhire series, set in Tysz's detailed land of Voulhire. Much of this novel lays the foundations for a masterful story to unfold in the following books.

Our protagonist is Galen Bray, a young man who travels to Voulhire from the war-torn Lands of the Princes to take over his great-uncle’s forge. Galen traverses this new land, and the reader experiences Voulhire through the eyes of a newcomer - much like themselves. Alongside Galen’s perspective, we read about King Wilhelm and his plans for the nation; Lord Eldus, who is newly appointed in Hillport; the growing rebel force of Riva Rohavi; and the powerful, dangerous influence of Meldorath.

This book is exciting, captivating and impossible to put down. The characters and settings are expertly crafted, and I found myself hungrily turning the pages to discover more. What I liked most about this book is the author's descriptive prose, as it was full of imagery. There was a perfect balance between description and clarity. I loved the inclusion of a map of the lands, at the beginning of the book, allowing the reader to visualise the world more easily. Additionally, this book is easy to read and quite short, so the reader does not become disinterested at all.

There is almost nothing that I disliked about this book as it was wonderfully written. My only criticism was that there was a lot of exposition and little action throughout the book. However, as this is only the first book in a long series, I am certain this added level of information is appropriate for later plot development. Some may not find the frequent change in perspective to their taste, but I believe it benefits the plot as it maintains a fast, intriguing pace.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars due to its exceptional creation. This book is evidently professionally edited as I did not find any errors through it. I would recommend this book to readers who are fans of fantasy. However, due to the profanity and lightly suggestive language, I would not recommend this book to younger readers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: A Letter to Marganie by Russ Dumas
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read the book too, I agree with your analysis and rating. Thanks for the detailed review and good job!
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers in words and cartoons by Arthur Hartz

Post by Nqobile771 »

The author did a stellar job with this book. The reader is able to envision the places with ease because of the detailed and descriptive writing. Great job with the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dreaming Wide Awake by Charles R Hinckley

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an excellent start to an exciting series. Thank you for a well-written and informative review!
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I loved this book too. Great review!
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by Chizioboli »

Thank you for your amazing review
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Donald J. Trump's Imperial Presidency EXPOSED through Rhyme by Valerie Luhman Anderson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Sounds riveting, I would love to read the book sometime. great review :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Post by Eutoc »

I've read this book and your review really says how interesting the book is. Tho I'm yet to read the other installments
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review is compelling and you're right, the book was a fantastical ride.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Skeletal
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong

Post by kdstrack »

Tysz is a talented author who keeps readers enthralled with his writing style. I liked your description of the complex universe where this story takes place. Your review motivates readers to continue reading the series. Great writing!
Noda21k
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noda21k.html
Latest Review: A Lock of Hair by A. Rose Pritchett

Post by Noda21k »

I really enjoyed this book as well too. I also liked the maps, like you did. Did you see the website? He gave a lot of additional information on there. I thought it was a great resource for the series as well. Good job on the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”