Review by AtienoMagero -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else'...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by AtienoMagero -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else'...

Post by AtienoMagero »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Someone Else’s End is the third book in the We Are Voulhire series by Matthew Tsyz. The fate of Voulhire is hanging in the balance. King Wilhelm is presiding over a case called Shore against Soulhire: his overall ruling will determine whether or not Voulhire will take in refugees from the Land of the Princes. The ruler of that continent, the Emperor of Lullabies, may not be pleased by Voulhire's potential involvement. There are many dark forces making attempts at Voulhire. Will Voulhire and its people overcome the looming threats? Read on to find out.

One of the things that impress me with the We Are Voulhire series is how far the author goes to make sure readers understand everything. I like the fact that a map of Voulhire is included in each book. I was able to understand the story more because of it. I could go back and track the locations mentioned in the story easily. I also like that a link to a website that further explains everything Voulhire-related was as well. The Voulhire reference guide at the end of the book provided great clarity on some of the terms used.

The author did a marvelous job with this book. I could not predict anything in this book. The book had so many epic twists and turns that are bound to keep readers entertained. I also loved the fight scenes in the story. They were quite gripping and added an element of excitement.

Another thing I love about this book is the character development. I was able to have a deeper understanding of the characters. Both Galen and Rowan's character development truly stood out for me. The author showed readers a different side of Galen. I enjoyed reading about his childhood and also how Rowan came to find him.

There are a few minor critiques from Someone Else’s End that are worth mentioning. For instance, I found it hard to believe that King Wilhelm had not heard about what happened to Virko. Since King Wilhelm was interested in Virko falling under his rule, I would have expected him to know its current state.

The book is supposed to be set in medieval times but, many modern terms were used. Like there were mentions of coffee tables and duffel bags. There was even a scene where a character smokes a cigar. I do not think these things were available in the kind of period this book is supposed to be.

I am going to be giving We Are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I feel like this book did not disappoint: the story was exciting and action-packed. The book is also well-written. I only came across two minor errors while reading. Therefore, I believe the book was well-edited by professionals. I did have a few critiques about this book. However, they did not interfere with my general enjoyment of the story.

This book cannot be read as a standalone. Therefore, I would recommend Someone Else’s End to readers who have already read the first books of the We Are Voulhire series.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”