Review by lavenderbooks20 -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
justhereader
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justhereader.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Review by lavenderbooks20 -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by justhereader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Vanished by Pejay Bradley takes readers to Korea at the time of Japanese occupation in the early 1900s. It was a period of political turmoil. People were clamoring for liberation from the hands of an oppressive regime. Amid such turbulent times, a young man of privilege was at the center of the story. As a child of an aristocratic mother, Embon’s elite upbringing prevented him from seeing the country’s sad reality. When Embon went to Japan for college, he came across a group of young students with revolutionary ambitions. Fueled by the desire to gain freedom from the Japanese control, Embon joined this group towards a dangerous gamble.

The book contains a vivid portrayal of Korean history and culture at the dawn of the 20th century. It speaks of the detriments of foreign occupation on social and personal freedom. What I appreciate the most is the depiction of the divided sentiments of the Korean people on joining the resistance. While some are willing to die for their country, some are reluctant to do the same. The need to provide for their families overshadows the desire to stage an uprising. If they die, what will become of their families they will leave behind? Such is the case with Mr. Seoh, a Korean who works for a Japanese employer. Like everyone else, he wants liberation from the Japanese. But joining the underground resistance would mean quitting his job and providing for his family is his utmost priority.

While the historical aspect of this book is pretty solid, the narrative is not without flaws. The characters’ perspectives are in the third person. Embon’s mother, Lady Sougyon, gets to narrate a handful of times through the first-person narration. It wasn’t consistent, though. At some point, Lady Sougyon’s point of view simply disappeared, giving the impression that her first-person voice was pointless.

In one instance, a character’s name appeared in the narrative without any prior introduction. It was only after a few pages that her background story followed, which felt odd. I also disliked the ending. It was abruptly delivered, making the resolution weak and unsatisfying. Regardless, Bradley’s writing was neat and professionally edited.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a full rating owing to the narrative’s shortcomings. The author’s mastery of Korean history was evident in the book, so I did not withdraw any more stars. If you want to explore the implications of foreign occupation, and you want to be moved by a united people fighting for their freedom, this book might be for you. However, I do not recommend this to those who find the intricacies of history and cultural traditions tedious to read.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: Death Inside Diamond Head
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I totally agree with you on the problems with narration and abrupt ending. Great review.
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Magic Blue Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: What They Bring by Willis

Post by MsH2k »

I thought the changing POV was distracting, too, but the historical perspective was educational. Thank you for your thorough and balanced review.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Maya Angelou
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Despite its flaws, it is a very valuable and educational book. Thank you for this well-written review!
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Walking Innocence Fence by Nikki James

Post by Nqobile771 »

I was also disappointed with the ending, it left me high and dry. Great review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Irish-American Connection
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by OBC Reviewer »

A nice historical fiction regarding Korea's freedom struggle. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review
justhereader
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justhereader.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by justhereader »

MsH2k wrote: ↑27 Jan 2021, 01:49 I thought the changing POV was distracting, too, but the historical perspective was educational. Thank you for your thorough and balanced review.
Bookishkrish24 wrote: ↑27 Jan 2021, 01:39 I totally agree with you on the problems with narration and abrupt ending. Great review.
Thank you for your comments :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”