Review by Belladonna_cnr -- Always Before Me

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Belladonna_cnr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belladonna-cnr.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Review by Belladonna_cnr -- Always Before Me

Post by Belladonna_cnr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Always Before Me" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Always Before Me by John Servant is an inspirational novel which elaborates about the challenges and even injustices a person may face in his or her lifetime, and the many ways they can affect a person's life and faith in God. Even though it is a fictitious novel, it is based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the religious foundations and customs of the Catholic Church.

Always Before Me highlights the story of three men and the life changing events they have faced in a prison. The Author described them individually as a 'saint', a 'sinner' and a 'man'. The 'saint' was a Priest who was wrongfully imprisoned due to a false accusation and act of betrayal. Even though initially he was greatly discouraged, he had become a great influence and inspiration to many in the prison despite the opposition he had faced.The 'sinner' was one of the employees in the prison who also had faced false accusations in his life and oftentimes doubted his faith thinking that it was too late for God to change his life.The 'man' was another employee at the prison who was the Chaplain after many failed attempts of finding employment after losing a teaching job due to a false accusation from a female student.

There were a couple things I liked about this book. Firstly, the Author stated that it was a story of three men. My first impression was that their stories would have been separate and distinct from one another. However, their life stories were all connected in many ways along with the stories of many separate secondary characters in the novel. Secondly, I love the Author's use of unique phrasal verbs I never thought existed. One example was the term 'curry favor' which meant to get someone to like you. I know curry to be a delicious spice or a type of meal and I did not know that such a phrasal verb existed until I searched for that in the dictionary.

There was however one thing I did not like and it is that of the narrated story of the 'sinner'. The novel mostly had the life stories of the 'saint' and the 'man', and not much of the 'sinner'. The 'sinner's' story was somewhat lost in the novel,putting his story alongside the many secondary characters whether briefly or moderately narrated. I think more should have been written in the novel about him in order for him to be recognised as one of the primary characters, that is, 1 of the 3 men.

I give this novel 3 out of 4 stars as it narrates the inspirational and connected lives of people, and their reactions and responses when faced with challenges. There were a few grammatical errors but they did not affect my enjoyment of reading this book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone as it is more or less a story of how life can put you in places and positions where it is least expected . We all face challenges in our lifetime and this is a good inspirational book to read about such things and ways to cope and live with them.

Always Before Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”