Review by Swirliegirlie -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by Swirliegirlie -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Vanished by Pejay Bradley is a Historical-Fiction set in Korean in the early 1900’s. During this time Japan has taken over Korea and started oppressing its people. Now it is up to Koreans to fall under the siege of Japan or choose to rise up and fight for their culture. The story follows Lady Sougyon and her son Embon. After an arranged marriage goes astray, Lady Sougyon was forced to face shame from her husband’s actions time after time and raise her son on her own. As Embon grows up, he turns into an outstanding student and reaches a prestige University at a younger age than common. During his school years he meets other bright young students with the same views as his. How will Embon and his new friends choose to act against the Japanese seizure?

I thoroughly enjoyed The Vanished. There was so much detail used and every character played a part into the story not matter how small. Pejay Bradley portrayed both Sougyon and Embon's characters amazingly. There were multiple times I was able to relate to these characters because of the detailed descriptions into their way of thinking and feelings. The thing I liked most about this novel was the incredible insight into Korean culture during this era, which I knew little about. The author gave amazing descriptions of the culture, history, customs, and rituals.

This was an incredible Historical-Fiction to read and I enjoyed it from start to finish. The one thing I disliked about the book was it ended so suddenly. Although I do love the way it ended, I wanted more! The story is written fluidly and is very well edited as I found very little errors. By being broken down in chronological parts, the plot was easy to follow and kept my attention the entire time.

Following Embon’s upbringing and his actions as a young man was extremely entertaining. I think anyone with an interest in learning about history or different cultures could enjoy this book. There were no lewd events and no obscene language is used, making this novel suitable for young adults, adults, and elderly alike. I highly recommend The Vanished to all readers.

The Vanished was a beautifully informative and descriptive story. I give it 4 out of 4 stars. The way the author described the story from colors and tangible items, to customs and rituals, and finally to the way characters are thinking and feeling. All of this put together gave an insight into the way of life and culture in Korea during a time of much change and growth in a more progressive way.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”