Review by Lunastella -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Embon, the grandson of Prince Aansoon, was born into utmost luxury but with an ominous palza (birth forecast). When he’s exposed to different ideas during his college experience, will he abandon his comfortable lifestyle and fight for Korea’s freedom? Will his palza dominate his destiny? The Vanished by Pejay Bradley shows, mainly through the eyes of Embon and his mother, Lady Sougyon, the struggle of Korean society during the Japanese regime at the first half of the XX century and their quest for freedom.

Most aspects of the book are well-developed. But what I liked the most was how naturally the author introduced different cultural aspects of Korean culture with which Westerners are not familiar. Pejay Bradley doesn’t resort to info-dumping, to tiresome and long descriptions, or even to footnotes. She seamlessly weaved all these elements in the narration, making The Vanished a priceless crash course into Korean culture at the same time that it is an unforgettable piece of fiction. I applaud that the author could convey such powerful feelings as she does without resorting to profanity.

There are some underdeveloped aspects of the novel. Namely, the motivations of the characters. Sometimes we don’t even know why Embon, the main character, acts the way he does. His relationship with his father is also left mainly unexplored. This can be explained, in my opinion, because the focus of the book is on Korean’s fight for freedom. The main downfall of this book, however, is the changing points of view. At first, the author alternates between a first-person narration in the voice of Lady Sougyon and a third-person narration, which is fine. Although I enjoyed Lady Sougyon’s point of view more, that’s a matter of personal taste. But the changes in the narrator are sudden, and, unexpectedly, Lady Sougyon’s point of view disappears. The ending, though strong, leaves us with some loose ends. Finally, I understand it’s not the author’s responsibility to educate us, but since the book is centered on Korean history, an epilogue about how Korea achieved its independence would’ve enriched the reading experience.

The book is professionally edited and contains just a few, minor mistakes. Because of this, the outstanding description of Korean culture, and the unique approach of portraying Korea's fight for independence through the eyes of a privileged family, I rate The Vanished by Pejay Bradley 4 out of 4 stars. What I considered flaws might well be a conscious stylistic choice of the author and do not diminish the quality of the book.

The Vanished is, due to the nature of the story, derogatory towards Japanese people. Some readers might fight this offensive, although I think the author just meant to be historically accurate. Readers who enjoy historical fiction or who want to learn more about Korea’s traditions and customs will enjoy The Vanished immensely. People who don’t have the patience for slow-paced stories or that prefer fantasy, romance, or thrillers might want to pick another book.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I have to agree with you on this. Pejay's intertwining of history, culture and action is seemless. You're review may well be better than mine 👏
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I agree with a lot of your points. That thing about the epilogue would be a nice inclusion to this book. Great review!
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

justhereader wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 18:51 I agree with a lot of your points. That thing about the epilogue would be a nice inclusion to this book. Great review!
I think it would be a nice added value to an already brilliant novel. Thanks for stopping by!

RHD wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 11:45 I have to agree with you on this. Pejay's intertwining of history, culture and action is seemless. You're review may well be better than mine 👏
I learned so much! Thank you for your kind words. I read and commented on your review, which is great.
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Korean culture is new to me but I am keen to learn more. This book seems to be touching on a historical topic that I would delve into despite the minor shortcomings. Thank you for your thorough review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

In Asian world, Japan was like how Germany was to the western world. 😁
I understand how you felt while reading this book. I prefer history books done in story telling way. 😁
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

This historical fiction is a hot topic these days since it is the current BOTM. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review

InStoree wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 23:03 Korean culture is new to me but I am keen to learn more. This book seems to be touching on a historical topic that I would delve into despite the minor shortcomings. Thank you for your thorough review!
It was totally new to me, too. I'm ashamed to admit I only knew K-pop and K-beauty :oops: , but it was so enjoyable to learn more! Thank you for your comment!

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 04:04 In Asian world, Japan was like how Germany was to the western world. 😁
I understand how you felt while reading this book. I prefer history books done in story telling way. 😁
Oh God, that's bad. I don't mean to judge any culture, but I can understand. History is so much enjoyable this way, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by!

OBC Reviewer wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 04:35 This historical fiction is a hot topic these days since it is the current BOTM. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review
The discussion forum on this book is super interesting. Thank you for your kind words :tiphat:.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

This was the nicest book about a culture of a country I ever read. Korea's culture resembles Africa's somehow. Particularly how women are treated. Nice book and a great review. Thanks.

Beatus wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 06:48 This was the nicest book about a culture of a country I ever read. Korea's culture resembles Africa's somehow. Particularly how women are treated. Nice book and a great review. Thanks.
I remember you mentioned that in your review and I was very surprised. I love learning more about other cultures.
Thank you for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”