Review by K-A-Y -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
K-A-Y
Favorite Book: The Bride Test
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Review by K-A-Y -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by K-A-Y »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren is an engaging tale loosely highlighting the struggle between darkness and light and good and evil which can occur either on a large scale or even within a single individual.

Our story is largely written in two parts. In the first, we encounter Poe; a local fireman, good at his job and well respected but like most, contending with hidden struggles. His is a broken family, marital issues and a problem kid. Unfortunately or as fate would have it, it is this problem kid that invites the dark character, Crighton into his life. In the end, while trying to save his failing family from the grips of this Master Manipulator, Poe makes a deadly mistake which ends up costing him his freedom, good name and ultimately his soul.

However, our story does not end here as in Part 2, we follow the mysterious Crighton on his dark journey of mayhem and destruction, with more light being shed on his personality and character. We also come to realise that all is not as it seems with this demon spawn and all his dark ways. A forced (albeit predestined) mating bond with an unseemly angel soon begins to unravel buried secrets and dark pasts, such as long lost fathers and untold destinies. Alas, we see it all come to head in a fierce battle with the King of the Underworld, a race for life and survival, a consummate selfless sacrifice as well as a final chance at redemption. With this, our unlikely tale of ‘Happily Ever After...Maybe’ concludes.

Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren is an arresting tale about humanity and the depths one can go for family as well as the phantasmal representation of good and evil in angels and demons. Soul Seeker opens up with a lyrical poem briefly highlighting the whirlwind of events that take place within our story. This poem however does not take or subtract from the enjoyment of the novel, rather with its interesting lyrical lilt, it paints an intriguing picture of the world created by Kaylin McFarren in which you are about to delve in.

The author in this novel, employs the use of simple words for description, painting detailed imageries in the mind of the reader. For instance, in Chapter 5 where we first lightly encounter Crighton, the description was as thus: “He was tall, powerfully built, and seemed to be walking with determined purpose. He wore a black leather jacket, tight jean pants, and black combat boots. His midnight black hair hung slightly past his shoulders and swayed in the breeze”. From this it is not impossible to picture the character in your minds eye, and this is always a good thing. In addition the prose is immersing, drawing you in from the very first page. The action isn’t rushed or forced and the humour is dry and canny. One is guaranteed to catch oneself laughing out loud a time or two. There is also the use of profanity and swearing throughout the novel but it is not too aggressive or obnoxious. The chapters are not laborious to get through either which I believe readers will enjoy.

One thing I enjoyed the most about this novel was how fluid and effortless it was to read. The writing style of Kaylin McFarren while proper and facile leaves no room for misinterpretation or confusion. There is also a clear absence of typographical or grammatical errors which I found equally pleasing and it is in my opinion that this novel has been professionally edited.

Consequently, the riveting storytelling which I enjoyed in the first half of the novel notably lags during the second half. In addition, readers are introduced to new discoveries and elements within the story which appeared a tad bit rushed through and underdeveloped, and as a result impede the sense of continuity the novel has. This is an element I liked the least.

My overall impression of this novel is that it is a well-written piece which can evoke serious thought about the phenomena of good versus evil, as well as the internal battle we all face therein. As a result of the profanity used in this novel and suggestive sensual scenes described, I recommend it to all but a young or impressionable audience.

Soul Seeker for me ranks 3 out of 4 stars and can be suitable for those in the market for something different and not the regular run-of-the-mill tale of good-triumphs-evil. I’m rating it a 3 and not a 2 because it was really well written, free from typos or grammatical errors and although there is a smattering of profanity and erotic scenes, it does not detract from the story in any way. Conversely it is a 3 and not a 4 because I believe that some parts of the story could have done with a bit more fleshing out and development. In particular the second half of the story, which also revealed a bit of potential for what could even be the start of a fresh series which I believe readers will thoroughly enjoy. Nevertheless, I believe that anyone who gives this tale a read, will definitely have a good time doing so.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing book of good versus evil. I think it is a book I would enjoy. Thanks for your wonderful review!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

By reading your review i feel that this is not a genre that really like about. However, I have thouroughly enjoyed your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I agree with your perspective, and I also enjoyed reading this book. Great job with the review!
K-A-Y

Post by K-A-Y »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 08:46 This sounds like an intriguing book of good versus evil. I think it is a book I would enjoy. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Many thanks for stopping by. I do hope you're able to give this a read. The author definitely puts a spin on the good vs evil plot.
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡
K-A-Y

Post by K-A-Y »

DANAWEB wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 11:26 By reading your review i feel that this is not a genre that really like about. However, I have thouroughly enjoyed your review!
:tiphat: Many a thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words. I agree, not everyone may be up for this genre. But that's what I love the most about books, there's something for everyone.
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡
K-A-Y

Post by K-A-Y »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 04:33 I agree with your perspective, and I also enjoyed reading this book. Great job with the review!
:D A plethora of thanks for the kind words, I too had a swell time with all it's twists and turns.
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”