Review by captd1961 -- The Arrow That Flies By Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
captd1961
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captd1961.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Review by captd1961 -- The Arrow That Flies By Day

Post by captd1961 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Arrow That Flies By Day" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Arrow That Flies By Day, by the author, John Servant, is the faith-based story of John Thaddeus. John Thaddeus is a former Marine who has faced multiple obstacles throughout his turbulent life. He endured a troubled childhood with an alcoholic father, active duty service as a Marine in Afghanistan, and the physical and mental repercussions of both. With the persistent strength that John has found from his faith, his unbreakable relationship with a spirited nun by the name of Sister Frances, and his adapt and overcome Marine training, he makes the decision to try out for the New Jersey Raptor NFL football team as a walk-on placekicker. The story follows John's trials, tribulations, and triumphs, on and off the field as he navigates his life as a man of faith.

The character of Sister Frances is a breath of fresh air. From start to finish, she is the glue that holds the story together with a feisty determination forged from her religious beliefs and her refusal to accept no for an answer. The author does a great job of bringing her physical and spiritual presence to life. This allows the reader to picture her 5'4" presence as a force to be reckoned with. I felt that the history of John and Sister Frances's relationship was fully developed, poignant, and a testament to the difference that one person can make in another person's life.

I would have liked to have seen the author delve more into the character of Susan LaCava, John's romantic interest. I was not able to visualize Susan's physical presence or personality, and therefore I could not form an emotional tie with her character. Also, I would have enjoyed more of a follow up story line with the characters of John's teammates, the defensive end, Harvey Brown, and the punter, Phil Ryan. I feel that a conclusion to their stories would have made the story more fulfilling.

Overall, I considered The Arrow That Flies By Day a good read. At times, it felt as if the story was being rushed. More description may have drawn me in a little further and given me more of an emotional stake in the outcome. However, the inspirational message was a consistent thread that ran from end to end and made the reading enjoyable. I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend The Arrow That Flies By Day for readers looking for a quick, uplifting, faith-based way to pass an afternoon.

The Arrow That Flies By Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”