Review by bardhaselmani -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by bardhaselmani -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else...

Post by bardhaselmani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is the third instalment in the series by the same name: We are Voulhire. It follows Galen and his friends in their journey to Soulhire, the capital city of Voulhire. The author, Matthew Tysz, takes these characters to yet another city. In the first book, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, the characters explore the small town of Magnum Caelum. In the second one, We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, as the title suggests, they are found in Virko. And, this time they go to require an audience with the king in the capital. However, while they are visiting, yet another trouble occurs in the castle. This trouble is another chance for them to fight, protect and rescue.

This book had several aspects that I liked. I was happy to learn the story of how Rowan goes to search for Galen. The hardships he goes through, the lies he has to tell, and the sacrifices he has to make. Additionally, it was nice to read from his perspective. Also, to learn his backstory. We visit his home in Soulhire. There, we meet his mother, and we see his childhood room. The room that is filled with different possessions that reveal hidden sides of his character. Also, Rowan and Demetrius share conversations through which they get to know each other more. Something not expected from two people who engage in constant banter. Another positive aspect is the professional editing of the book.

Unfortunately, there were aspects that I did not like. A recurring concern from previous books is the use of foul language. Though, in this novel, the amount of profanity used reduced. Additionally, I was not happy with the way the story does not progress enough. Moreover, the author continues to introduce new characters. Each character takes a chapter to narrate his own story. This factor makes the episodes of Galen recur infrequently. Hence, his story does not get to progress. The narrative of Galen has not progressed much from the first book in general. Though, he, apparently, did forge different objects. It is frustrating to have this knowledge told to us instead of having it shown.

For these reasons, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I wish there were more elements in the story of Galen. I enjoy his good nature and his kind heart, yet he seems like an underdeveloped character. I would prefer to see other sides of him too.

I recommend this book to readers of fantasy. I also recommend it to those who enjoy magical worlds and unexpected plot twists. I believe it is a good book for those who are starting to read the genre of fantasy.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”