Review by bardhaselmani -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by bardhaselmani -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset by Ace Bowers is a memoir that recounts the life that leads the author to become successful. It starts from his childhood, the most challenging part of his life, then moves into adolescence and adulthood. The author speaks of his family issues, jobs and failures that helped shape him into the person he became. He also speaks of the importance of changing his behaviour and mindset to initiate a larger change. Additionally, he speaks of the turning point of his life. That was when he learned that he was becoming a father.

There are several aspects of the book that I liked. I found the length of the book to be a positive element. It was short, yet the book was well organized and coherent. The language was easy to understand. It was noncomplex and conversational, which made reading the memoir flow nicely, and it also helped with the pace.

Unfortunately, this book had several issues that made me dislike it on several levels. First of all, it made frequent use of italicized text. There were italicized words on every single page of this book, at least three of them on each page. All kinds of random words were italicized, which made the book very tedious to read. I do not think that all those words needed to be emphasized. I also did not like the depressive tone of the book. This book is pitched as a book about success, yet offered very few success tips but a lot of background information. Additionally, I was unsatisfied with the way he spoke about different people in his life. He depicts his parents as the root of all his problems. However, later he says that they are amazing. I do not doubt that they are, though, his writing only showcased a negative aspect of their past of 25 years ago.

Therefore, it is for these reasons that I rate this book with two out of four stars. Even though it was overall professionally edited, and I did not spot any grammatical issues, I still think there were aspects of this book that could benefit from another round of editing.

I recommend this book to readers who are going through problems with their families and jobs. It does give hope that anyone can be successful with the help of the right mindset and practices. It gives hope that your past does not shape your future, but your actions in the present do.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”