Review by kennaswim -- The Arrow That Flies By Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kennaswim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennaswim.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Review by kennaswim -- The Arrow That Flies By Day

Post by kennaswim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Arrow That Flies By Day" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Arrow That Flies By Day written by John Servant is actually more of a short story, but a wonderful read nonetheless. The main character, John Thaddeus, is an ex-Marine. After he had many close calls on the battlefield, John decides to take his dreams to the field of an NFL football team as a kicker. In addition to his service and his dream of being a professional football player, John talks about how his faith saved him through his hard childhood, time in Afghanistan, and the new path he has chosen to follow.
There are many good things about this book, but I personally think that the best part of it was the characters; the characters are part of what makes the book so great. For starters, Servant did an excellent job making John out to be this person that so many people want to be friends with. Because of his service he learned a thing or two about what it’s like to have to work hard, but he also learned that many need to just let things roll off their back. That leads me to another character, Harvey. Harvey is the team captain of the team that John is hoping to join. Harvey is a very self-centered person who is not respectful to , but demands it from others. Between John and Harvey, a movie comes to mind about how they act and that movie oddly enough is “Mean Girls”. John and Harvey are characters that many people could see competing in high school. Because of this view, the book is opened up to many teen readers.
While there are many praises to this book, I have one complaint; the ending. I don’t want to spoil it, so I won’t go into it too much, but it just wasn’t the ending so many readers are hoping for. Servant did a fantastic job at getting readers excited about an ending that many readers suspect, yet that ending is not included. Quite frankly, the ending was pretty boring and I was somewhat disappointed in it. However, that is the only negative that has with the entire story.
My overall rating of the book is a 3 out of 4 stars. While there were no errors, vaugler language, or erotic scenes, I still did not give the book a perfect score. My reason for that is becasue as I said before, I was disappointed at the ending. The ending was not what was expected and that left me feeling a little sad about things. That being said, I felt that this deserved nothing less of three stars. I thought that the book was well written and I really enjoyed the story. It was very inspirational and allows everyone who reads it to think about their life and their choices and how we should all be living our lives to the fullest.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to become more acquainted with Catholic or Christian religion. The main character talks about how God saved his life and how he would love to give thanks to God. If you are someone who is not a religious person or does not belong to the religion talked about in the book, then I would probably steer clear of this read. However, if you are someone who wants to be inspired to be more in touch with their religion or who is already a big believer in God, then I would strongly suggest this book. In terms of age, I think that this book is a good read for anyone fourteen years or older. It really was a well written book that can be enjoyed by many.

The Arrow That Flies By Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”