Review by Zee_Zee -- The Narrow Gate by John Servant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: The Boy by Victor Allen

Review by Zee_Zee -- The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Narrow Gate" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's a story in the Bible of a prodigal son who leaves his father's house to squander his share of the family inheritance. It's a story that illustrates the cycle of redemption. It speaks of God's undying love for his people, which remains fervent regardless of what humans do.

In The Narrow Gate, John Servant tells a story that is similar to the biblical prodigal son's tale. Joe Jay, a young and upright prosecutor, attracts a political party's attention with his reputation as a hard-nosed litigator. They approach him with an offer to make him their political candidate. However, the proposal has several strings attached, which Joe doesn't know.

In his quest for more political power, he disregards the advice of his former principal, Sister Francis, and begins to cheat on his wife. His promiscuity puts his marriage in jeopardy. Joe and his political party eventually loses, which causes him to take a little time away from politics. However, that didn't stop him from fighting to climb higher on the political ladder. When he eventually becomes a senator, disaster strikes. What does fate hold for his political career? Will he ultimately find his way back to fix his life's wreckage? Follow this highly emotional tale to find answers to these questions and more.

From the first page of the book, I got hooked. I anticipated that I'd love the story, and I was not disappointed! I loved the way the author began the story. He provided enough information that formed the building blocks for the things that unfolded. I liked that the story started from the end and rolled backward. It felt like I was watching a movie written and directed by Christopher Nolan.

The author did an excellent job with the book's characterization. I loved that the author gave most of the characters a presence. For instance, Sister Francis wasn't the main character, but I felt her presence throughout the book. I could tell when she was about to enter the scene. Joe Jay's character was also relatable. Though the story revolved around him, other characters found expression throughout the story. The relationship between the characters was well defined and realistic. The book's characterization was my favorite aspect of the book.

There are several lessons to learn from The Narrow Gate. It's a story of love, loss, lust for power, salvation, and restitution. It illustrates the beauty of God's love and truth. It also shows that every action has its consequences, whether good or bad.

I found only two errors in the entire book, so I reckon it was professionally edited. I enjoyed the story; I found nothing to dislike about the book. Therefore, I'd give it 4 out of 4 stars. It was indeed an exciting read, and I strongly recommend it to lovers of Christian literature.

The Narrow Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”