Review by Vivdija -- The Narrow Gate by John Servant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivdija
Currently Reading: How to be successful
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivdija.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Review by Vivdija -- The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Vivdija »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Narrow Gate" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Sister, do you think God can forgive me?” Joe asked. (page 100)

What happens when you choose to compromise your values and beliefs? Well, John Servant takes a stab at answering this question in his book The Narrow Gate.

The two main characters of this book are Joe Jay and Sister Francis. Joe is a Christian man and a reputed litigator. He had graduated from Harvard with a degree in political science and a law degree. He has a wife called Joan and a son called Joey. Joe is lured into the dirty game of politics and rises to fame quickly. He soon realises that to achieve his political goals, he has to accept ideologies that he does not believe in. Joe is portrayed as a gullible man whose greatest weakness is his ambition. It is good to be ambitious. However, what happens when your ambition makes you lose sight of your moral compass? How far will Joe go to achieve his political goals? How will his decisions affect him and his family members? What is the role of Sister Francis in this story? You will have to read the book to find the answers to these questions.

The main themes of this book are religion, politics and greed. Joe was greedy for power and did everything that he could to climb the political ladder, to the detriment of his personal life. There are different stylistic devices in the book like irony and biblical allusion. The writer has vividly described his characters. Consequently, I could picture all of them in my mind as I read the book. My favourite character was Sister Francis because she stands for what she believes in. I did not like Joan because she highly values wealth and her social status to the point that she cannot stand against what is wrong.

One of the things that I loved about this book is the clear depiction of reality. The characters of the book are relatable. Many people are like Joe. Joe compromised his values and deceived himself that this was for the greater good. The little things that we take for granted can negatively influence our life. Another thing that I loved about this book is how the writer concludes Joe's storyline. I am glad that he learnt from his mistakes and changed.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. This book has more than ten mistakes. Hence, I rate it three out of four stars. Have you lost hope? Do you feel that the mistakes that you have made are so grave that God cannot forgive you? If your answer is yes, this book is suitable for you. This book has an interesting plot. I finished reading it in less than twenty-four hours. I enjoyed reading this book.

The Narrow Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Key to Eternity by Mallory M. O'Connor
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I find it interesting that 3 of the main characters had such similar names: Joe, Joan, and Joey. But the plot is very relatable and believable because most of us know people who would do just about anything to get ahead in life.

Thank you for an excellent review. Keep up the great work!
:techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Bad Ivory
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I am not very attracted by the theme of the book, but I enjoyed your thorough review! Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”