Review by sssns -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sssns
Currently Reading: The Death of Violence
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Review by sssns -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by sssns »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crighton Daemonium is the best soul-collector from hell. He has to make a long-overdue collection from Benjamin Poe, a dedicated family man, and firefighter. However, Poe will not allow Crighton to take anything from him. He confronts the demon but falls victim to the evil tricks. Poe suffers the consequences while Crighton walks away with his prize and continues with his soul-collecting duties. In one of his assignments, Crighton falls into the hands of a secret organization known to experiment on supernatural beings. He escapes with another captive: a beautiful, innocent, young angel. As they run together, their adventures take them to unexpected twists and turns, discovering revelations regarding their identities. Is this the end of Crighton’s soul-collecting career, or is he about to find the soul he unknowingly seeks?

Soul Seeker by Kaylin Macfarren is a novel about adventure, fantasy, romance, and suspense. It is the first book of the series and has two parts. Part One is the story of Poe and his encounter with Crighton. It is action-packed, fast-paced, and suspenseful. The story flows smoothly, and it could even stand as a separate book. Part Two is about Crighton’s life as a soul-collector. There are action and suspense, but fantasy and romance are more prominent. There is world-building to illustrate the supernatural world and other beings. However, the rules governing them need more detail. Unlike Part One, the second part of the book has more subplots and characters. But these subplots are left open as the main characters move on to the next adventure. It seems like some of the scenes are added to give more twists without tying them together. One might also think that they are left open for the following installation. Regardless, it would be enjoyable if the story flows smoothly. Likewise, the change in Crighton’s character is abrupt. He is a villain in the first half and then a hero in the second part. Part Two feels rushed and needs more focus and organization.
Also, the transition between the two parts needs more improvement. It is what I dislike the most. It is like reading two separate books.

The element that ties Part One and Part Two is the title, Soul Seeker. Crighton seeks souls in both parts of the book. In the first half, it is because of his job. But in the second part, he finds another purpose. Other consistent elements throughout the book are the vivid descriptions and details.

Themes like good against evil and crime versus punishment are evident in the story. The book also explores the emotional side of the male characters. It demonstrates how the men value their families and the tremendous lengths they will go thru to protect them. Crighton and Poe, both alpha males, have internal struggles as they process their feelings. These men are not stereotyped as macho heroes. The examination of male emotions is what I like best in the book.

There are graphic erotic scenes in the book. In Part One, they are appropriate. They show that a spark remains between the couple whose relationship has gone cold. In Part Two, the erotic scenes highlight the unusual bond between the lovers. The sexual tension overshadows the emotional, mental, and spiritual connection. One might think that their bond is only on the physical level.

Due to the erotic content and profanity, the book is for mature readers. Although not offensive, the concept of angels, demons, heaven, and hell might be sensitive among religious groups. Those who have concerns about these particular topics should take caution. Adding a content warning at the start of the book will be helpful. Readers who are keen on adventure, fantasy, romance, and suspense will enjoy this book.

There are minimal editing errors but did not detract from the reading experience. I am dropping a star due to the concerns in the second part of the story. That said, I give 3 out of 4 stars.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sanjus
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

The concept of soul seeker from hell who is trying to get soul of main character looks interesting to me. Thanks for your elaborate review on this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats Walking the Dog by Dave Hutchinson

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. I've seen some other reviews, and they also said that the second part of the book feels rushed and not as interesting as the first part.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: The Lutheran Ladies' Circle
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Unethical by Marla L. Anderson

Post by kdstrack »

This is an interesting perspective of the struggle between good and evil. Your comments about the book's format were especially helpful. This is a story to entertain and to make one reflect on spiritual beings. Thanks for this intriguing recommendation!
Viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Viczboy16 »

I really enjoyed your review. You were careful enough to totally avoid spoilers. However, I noticed an abbreviated word in your fourth paragraph.
Godspraise Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godspraise-precious.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Godspraise Precious »

I find the premise of this book interesting. The romance and all. I love the presentation of this in a book. Thanks for such a detailed and intriguing review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”