Review by Art West -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Art West
2021 Reading Goal: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-art-west.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Review by Art West -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Art West »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterworks by Jack Winnick is a story about two Israeli agents that work with the CIA. These two agents, who happen to be husband and wife, infiltrate the Iranian government to attempt to stop a terrorist attack on the water supplies in California.

The book is 269 pages and frankly could have been less. Most of the first chapter seemed unnecessary as Jack Winnick went into detail about the man that tested the water supply in Los Angeles. The only thing that needed to be said was that the water was tested by a capable individual. This could have been easily mentioned in the second chapter. Despite this unnecessary chapter, the book still held my interest.

This book describes a terrorist attack on the water supply in Los Angeles and also describes a plan to poison the San Francisco water supply. These plots are so well described that it makes you wonder if it could actually happen. I also find it interesting the way Jack Winnick describes how the agents were able to go under cover and get jobs in the Iranian government. He tells about the agents getting new identities and new backgrounds in case the Iranian government checks them out. He tells how the agents are able to stay in Iran undercover. The idea that the agents had some temporary plastic surgery done by professionals in Hollywood that do makeup and costumes for movies was an interesting idea as well. Again, the detail that Jack Winnick goes into to describe what all it entailed for these two agents to go under cover makes you wonder if this kind of stuff really does happen.

I would not recommend this book for young children. Anyone over the age of 13 should be able to enjoy it, however, parents should be aware that there are a couple of instances of foul language, and as you might expect, there are also some violent scenes. Jack Winnick does a good job at not being too descriptive of the violence in these scenes. Parents should decide for themselves whether or not to let their young teenager read this book. It will be fine for the older teenagers as well as adults.

The book was well written and well edited. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars mainly because I am reluctant to give 4 stars to any book. This book was quite enjoyable and at 269 pages it was a fairly quick read. I would recommend that if you get the chance to read Waterworks by Jack Winnick, you should.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: Death Inside Diamond Head
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Your review piqued my interest. Thanks for a insightful review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”