Review by MarianaFigueira -- Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by MarianaFigueira -- Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by MarianaFigueira »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Underdog Thinking" by Atul Vir.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think it is safe to say Atul Vir has experienced quite an exciting life so far. He was born in India but obtained a job at a company with a division located in Africa, where he devoted his first years as a working man. Then, he ventured to the USA, where he hoped to fulfill the American dream. He tells you all about it, including all the knowledge he found in business and life, in Underdog Thinking.

This book is a pleasant and entertaining blend of a memoir with an industry guide. Every chapter, which aligned with a stage of the author's life, was divided into sections containing the lessons he learned during each episode. Though this description makes it sound choppy, the novel maintained a nice flow and rhythm.

Despite being presented as a business-oriented book, my favorite thing about it was that the business part wasn't always so obvious and could lie behind metaphors like comparing a CEO to an orchestra director. Also, Mr. Vir recalls many memories of his childhood, the school he attended (which's philosophy inspired him immensely) and other aspects of his background that helped shape the way he conducts his company.

Another thing I enjoyed was the straightforward language. Why distract the reader with intricate words when the purpose of the book is not the writing itself? Instead, this novel mesmerizes you with the fantastic tale of Mr. Vir's life and the wisdom to extract from it. Also, in spite of encountering a few grammar errors, this book seems professionally edited, as well as elegantly written.

There were several elements I was not enthusiastic about; the first one is that the book is way too long; despite spanning 30 years of someone's life, it could have been a little bit more condensed. Plus, the epilogue (where he asseverated his corporate strategies more specifically) feels unnecessary, given that he had previously mentioned all of these things before in some part of the book. And the other thing is that, sometimes, he would tell how something miraculously appeared when he needed it the most or when he was about to give up; this made me skeptical because that resembles fiction more than real life.

Regarding the rating, I went back and forth. I would not say this book is perfect, but it was excellent, well written, and edited, so it didn't seem fair to give it three stars; hence, I'm granting it 4 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would give three and a half, but the positive things about it triumph over the unfavorable ones, leaning the balance towards the better rating.

As for who I would recommend it to, I mentioned earlier that this novel struck me more as a business-infused autobiography than a how-to industry book. Accordingly, it would be suitable for people who wish to know about the journey that implies being a businessman, besides people who want to learn more about entrepreneurship.

Underdog Thinking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Lucille27
2021 Reading Goal: 36
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading: Nickle Brickle'Bee: In the Heart of EarthWorks
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Will's Adventure to the Candy Mountain by Dr.Gerry Haller

Post by Lucille27 »

I enjoyed reading your review and agree with you. I think at some points the narrative felt too long and unrealistic. I think he has a point in not giving up, but it felt as it was very formulaic. As a narrative resource it works, but for me it also felt a bit ficitonal.
MarianaFigueira

Lucille27 wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 00:46 I enjoyed reading your review and agree with you. I think at some points the narrative felt too long and unrealistic. I think he has a point in not giving up, but it felt as it was very formulaic. As a narrative resource it works, but for me it also felt a bit fictional.
Exactly! Thank you for the comment
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Despite being a memoir, looks like this will be a useful book for businessmen as well. And I agree that things that miraculously appear sound unreal, especially for a bio.
Tarilan
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I love reading memoirs, but am not a fan of long reads. I'll pass this one. Thanks for the honest review.
MarianaFigueira

Sou Hi wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 03:26 Thanks for your interesting review. Despite being a memoir, looks like this will be a useful book for businessmen as well. And I agree that things that miraculously appear sound unreal, especially for a bio.
Thanks for stopping by!
MarianaFigueira

Tarilan wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 14:27 I love reading memoirs, but am not a fan of long reads. I'll pass this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for the comment!
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

Well written and informative review. I'll pass over this book though. Thanks for the review.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for such a well detailed review. I am afraid I will have to pass on this book though. I do think this I will enjoy it.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by DANAWEB »

I enjoy reading self help books and this book seems to fit the bill. Your review is detailed and very well written!
MarianaFigueira

Mtibza eM wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 08:14 Thank you for such a well detailed review. I am afraid I will have to pass on this book though. I do think this I will enjoy it.
Yeah, I wouldn´t say it´s for everyone. I´m glad you found my review helpful!
MarianaFigueira

DANAWEB wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 11:12 I enjoy reading self help books and this book seems to fit the bill. Your review is detailed and very well written!
Thank you so much DANAWEB :D
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Escape the Maze by T. Mertz

Post by Slater678 »

I like the insights the author gives after the travels and work experience he's had in different part of the world. Thanks for the exciting review.
Godspraise Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godspraise-precious.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Godspraise Precious »

I love the premise of this book. It explores topics in which I am interested. It is also necessary to state that your review is detailed. A great autobiography or memoir does it for me
MarianaFigueira

K+SQUARE wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 04:36 Well written and informative review. I'll pass over this book though. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”