Review by Vannaskivt -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and S...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review by Vannaskivt -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and S...

Post by Vannaskivt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide written by Gustavo Kinrys, MD. and Alexandra Gold, MA, is an interesting and useful introduction to symptoms of anxiety and stress as well as the variety of ways one might manage and mitigate these symptoms.

The guide begins by giving the reader a useful overview of some of the symptoms one might experience if they are feeling overwhelmed with anxiety or stress. Specifically, the authors describe symptoms such as dry mouth, sweating, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, and digestive disorders.

The second half of the guide focuses on the variety of ways the authors feel individuals may be able to manage stress and anxiety. An overview of remedies in categories such as food and vitamins, herbal remedies, natural remedies, alternative therapies, and technology-based therapies.

Though this guide attempts to cover all bases and pack an incredible amount of information into a small number of pages, it ends up feeling superficial. It is wonderful that the author attempts to be so eclectic in listing approaches to managing anxiety, however, it ends up feeling somewhat repetitive and incomplete. Of particular note is the lack of research backing up the authors’ claims. I was looking for more evidence-based practice to be included in the guide.

Additionally, there were some errors in the text and the writing came across as somewhat unsophisticated, particularly given it was written by a physician. The author frequently utilized exclamation points at the end of his suggestions which gave the writing a somewhat childish tone. Also, there were areas where phrases were repeated verbatim, leaving the reader wondering if it was an oversight or intended by the authors.

Towards the end of the book, in the section that covers alternative therapies, the author discusses Music Therapy. However, the authors describe listening to music as music therapy. Unfortunately, this information is incorrect. Music Therapists are Board-Certified and Licensed (in many states) mental health professionals. The act of listening to music may be therapeutic, but it is not music therapy. To truly utilize music therapy as a therapeutic remedy, a certified or licensed Music Therapist must be involved to guide the therapy.

One thing I did find helpful was the inclusion of tables that overviewed all information in a quick reference type guide. Additionally, the authors include a grocery store shopping list and reference guide for further reading.

Overall, this was a basic introduction to the world of stress and anxiety and what options one has to manage those symptoms. I wish the authors had either chosen to use more sophisticated explanations or gone more in-depth, so the reader could emerge with knowledge that supplemented what can be found in a simple google search. Because of this, and some editing mistakes, I give this book two out of four stars. I do think the book was professionally edited, but some errors were overlooked. I found no use of foul language in this book. I recommend this book for anyone interested in learning a little bit more about anxiety and stress.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Godspraise Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godspraise-precious.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Godspraise Precious »

This book explores topics I find fascinating and relevant. Also, your review is well written. Bravo
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Diamond and Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”