Review by Bertha Jackson -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One:...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review by Bertha Jackson -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One:...

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a story about Lily, who at nine years of age is taken away from her black mother, and sold by her white father. She grows up as a house slave cooking and cleaning for Jesse Adam’s plantation. Lily and the youngest son, James, develop an uncanny friendship between black and white. When James reaches his teens, Jesse teaches him how slaves are to be treated. At 17-years-of-age, James goes away to study to become a doctor, and Lily fears that their friendship is gone forever. Fourteen years later James returns home and catches Lily playing his deceased mother’s piano. James discovers that Lily has been teaching herself to play the piano for years but never told him. Furious he convinces his father to let him take Lily away from the plantation to a breeder. In truth, he takes her to the Werthington Estate to get her away from his father. Why the Werthington Estate? Is this where the breeders are? What are James’s true intentions? Is James a friend or a foe? What is going to happen to Lily?

This book will take you into the darkness of slavery where black people have no rights; where animals have better shelter from nature than they do. The things that other races take for granted are denied to Negros. The right to an education, the right of ownership, the right to food and shelter, and the right to freedom are just a few of the things that Negros were not entitled to. All the Negros had to look forward to was servitude and submission to their White masters.

I liked how the author included slave codes or definitions at the front of each chapter. They helped me have a clearer understanding of how the slaves were treated, and the justification the slave owners felt that they had in administering this treatment. These codes showed the attitude that slaves were not human.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. It was well-written, and I only found a couple of errors. Some of the dialogue was a little confusing but it was not distracting. For instance, sometimes when Lily and James were speaking, it was in a southern or slave dialogue, and other times the language was formal.

I recommend this book to anyone over the age of eighteen. I do not recommend it to younger readers because there is some graphic exotic sexual content and profanity not suitable for younger readers. I will caution that this book will put the reader on an emotional roller coaster of being furious, angry, and sad.

I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I believe the book has been edited by a professional. The story flows smoothly, and the cliffhanger has resulted in my anxiously wanting to read the rest of the series. In fact, I have purchased the rest of the series to read at my leisure.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

'An emotional rollercoaster' is the perfect phrase to describe this book, but I enjoyed every bit of it.
Lovely review.
Farah Omar 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farah Omar 1 »

How ever i appreciated how it has been puplished for making case study in the past although in the book being talked divorce for me it's very sad to separate the family due to disputes.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

A book on a slavery in the early America is always historical and a joy to read. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Brenda kay H

Post by Brenda kay H »

I did not expect this but it is good ☺
Last edited by Brenda kay H on 03 Oct 2021, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I understand the author's need to include sexual content in this book. And I agree with the point of this book being emotional rollercoaster. Thanks for the detailed review!
Erika Garciano
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion

Post by Erika Garciano »

How could his mother sold her , she was only 9 years old .. but so far she have a good life even she became a slave.
Helensoul
Currently Reading:

Post by Helensoul »

This is a must-read story for black people. I like the plot and settings of the book. Thanks for the intricate review.
Obadiah ekpo
Currently Reading:

Post by Obadiah ekpo »

This book has obviously stated the overview of slavery. Her father sold for him to get money, but it's turned out to be a good life for her.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I’ve had a chance to read this book, too. It was a strong and emotional story, and really helped me to understand how the society looked at that time. It also ended with an irresistible cliffhanger, so I am not surprised that you purchased the rest of the series! 😃

thank you for the lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Faith N Zake

Post by Faith N Zake »

I liked this book with good history. It's well written and people can learn about slavery.
Jehanzaib Khalil 1
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jehanzaib Khalil 1 »

This book has obviously stated the overview of slavery. Her father sold for him to get money, but it's turned out to be a good life for her.I liked this book with good history. It's well written and people can learn about slavery.
Diana Wiafe
Currently Reading:

Post by Diana Wiafe »

Wow, this book really teaches about slavery and everyone can learn from it
Yhance Itchuwow

Post by Yhance Itchuwow »

This book has obviously stated the overview of slavery. Her father sold for him to get money, but it's turned out to be a good life for her.I liked this book with good history. It's well written and people can learn about slavery.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Erika Garciano wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 01:02 How could his mother sold her , she was only 9 years old .. but so far she have a good life even she became a slave.
Her biological father was the slave master of the plantation, with a jealous wife who wanted the child gone. Her mother put up quite the fight and suffered quite the consequences with no success in keeping her daughter.

It is but another sad example of the atrocities of slavery :cry:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”