Review by GianKosi77 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Review by GianKosi77 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by GianKosi77 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When he speaks of Agis, he says, "All Sparta's fathers (except one) are fathers to all its sons." But when he speaks of Alkibiades, he says, "The one who had cast his shadow across my life." This book is the heartwarming story of Leotychides, a disputed heir to one of Sparta's thrones. If I were to give this novel a title, I would name it "The War of Succession."

I consider it a privilege to read about Ancient Greek history. The Fox by M. N. J. Butler is a thought-provoking and suspenseful thriller which arouses mixed feelings in the reader. At the age of three, Leotychides discovered that he was a prince - King Agis's son. However, rumors had that he was an illegitimate heir to the throne. If the rumor was a dream, then being ignored by Agis all his life was Leotychides's nightmare. The narrator recounts the painful moments he went through to establish his roots. Although the king (on his death bed) declared the narrator both a son and heir, an odd turn ensued when Leotychides's uncle challenged him of his legitimacy. Will Leotychides ever succeed his father as king in one of the thrones in Sparta? Grab a copy of the The Fox to enjoy the war of thrones.

The author has convinced me that this book deserves a full rating. He has achieved the solemn purpose; navigating the reader through Ancient Greek's amazing history. Leotychides's life has been well-narrated since childhood until he joined the flock, the throne battle, and now as an old man. I also award The Fox 4 out of 4 stars because of the rich language that the author used. He employed metaphors and idiomatic expressions that made the text interesting and lively.

"I am alone in a forest of memories." – Leotychides. The narrator reveals the trauma that one goes through when a parent disowns him/her.

Sparta has a beautiful culture that I enjoyed most in the story. I learned about her traditions, how victories are perceived, and various ceremonial practices that hooked me to the book. I was surprised to learn that the people of Sparta expect victory instead of celebrating it.

I admired most also the principle of leadership portrayed in the book. Doreius symbolized impartiality, Leotychides stood for unity, and Leotychides's nurse represented good mentorship. These three characters are also my favorite.

Reading the first chapter was a tough grind. Most of the Greek names were unfamiliar, long, and difficult to remember. As a result, I found it hard to follow the story because I was confused. This is the only aspect that I disliked most in the novel. I decided to focus on one name, Leotychides, and the events that surrounded him. This technique helped me to overcome such difficulties, and the narrative became interesting.

Minor errors such as missing articles and punctuation marks did not escape my eyes. However, the mistakes were not that gross as the book was finely edited. Therefore, I highly recommend this novel to lovers of historical tales. If you are in a leadership position, you may acquire essential skills from this book. There are no religious boundaries as far as the story is concerned. But one must be sure to dedicate enough time to read the book. I discourage the minors from grabbing a copy due to profanity, sexual references, and horrific scenes.

"It is better to honor a brave enemy than a false friend." – Pausanios.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

The name "The War of Succession" makes sense after reading the summary. I wonder, why is it called The Fox? Unfamiliar names can be tough to remember and make the story confusing. Thanks for the review.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I've been curious about this book. However, something have been keeping me away from it, but thanks to your description of it, I convinced enough to try and read this book. Congratulations! You really made a good job with your review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I too have reviewed this book. Thoroughly enjoyed reading all the historical characters and places mentioned. Great review!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This book is a long read that's why I've refused to try it out. I find your review interesting and I might as well read it notwithstanding its length.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review. I have seen this book lately by chose to skip it. After your review, I might give it a try.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your preference for a new title is amazing! I also enjoyed the quotes you included in your review. You have a way of making history interesting and appealing. Great writing!
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I've always enjoyed reading about ancient Greek history and I think I would like this book! Thanks for the review
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I was tempted to read this book for a while now.
Thank you for providing the trigger warnings.
This book is not for me.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've been curious about this book and thought the Greek history aspect very intriguing, but I was a bit concerned about the length! I think it would be hard to write a short review on such a long book! I think it's clever how you found a way to make the book more approachable by concentrating on one character. I would probably enjoy reading this book, but probably wouldn't want to write the review! :tiphat:
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”