Review by RM-SM -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RM-SM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rm-sm.html
Latest Review: Diamond and Pearls by Julien Ayotte

Review by RM-SM -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by RM-SM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray is free at last, from his war-ridden home in the Land of the Princes. Now he has arrived in the much beloved kingdom of Voulhire. He is there to take on his uncle's blacksmithing roots. But close by, under what everyone believes is heavy lock and key, lies the most dangerous threat to Galen's beautiful new homeland. What will happen when this threat emerges? And what will it take to stop him, if anything can?

What I most appreciate about this book is how the viewpoints change so the reader gets a full spectrum of Voulhire and its citizens. You understand their fear of this looming danger. You understand their joy as a new, more joyful lord arrives to rule. You understand their hope that the threat is truly neutralized and gone forever. I especially like how switching these views keeps up a steady suspense. Just as one character reaches an interesting point in their tale, you are given another and left to wonder what will happen next. The varying glances in to different character's lives, from king to knight to new arrival, all help acquire a better sense of the antagonist as well.

I also enjoy the author's portrayal of the villain. As I read, I had a sense of his power and what made him so feared, but, until the conclusion, I was unsure just how and when he would emerge. He is this dark, mysterious force that is constantly kept in play in the background and gives a wonderful, dramatic flare to the story. I kept expecting his appearance in climatic points in the tale.

The only thing I have to say I did not enjoy was the high level of profanity and the hinting at sexual content. There was nothing overly graphic but it's a bit of a shock to those are not used to it. On the separate hand, however, the editing and spelling was definitely on point. It always helps not to be distracted by bad misspellings and grammar errors. And with the phrases used in the story, it was must have been no easy task.

Otherwise, We Are Voulhire: New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a good book. I would recommend more to the adult crowds who enjoy suspenseful science-fiction novels without many action packed scenes. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and look forward to visiting the land of Voulhire again sometime in the future.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”