Review by Ada Ling -- Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Review by Ada Ling -- Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Ada Ling »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Underdog Thinking" by Atul Vir.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Atul Vir's Underdog Thinking is a worth reading book. Atul, an Indian native, traveled four continents and settled down in Houston. In this book, Atul told the readers his roller-coaster journey: how he started the laundry appliance company, reached the peak, fell to the bottom, and got up. Atul provided his first-hand experience and wisdom from the lessons. It is a well-written book. Once I picked it up, I cannot put it down.

I liked the stories and how the author put them together. The stories are structured chronologically. Some are so dramatic that I felt I was reading a novel instead of a non-fiction business book. The author's description of his internal thinking and other people's emotion was so vivid that I felt I was in the middle of a real conversation. It was interesting to see how people express their thoughts across different cultures. The quotation at the beginning of each chapter is a brilliant idea. The stories are fast-paced and easy to follow, just as the readers listening to a friend sharing his ups and downs. The whole reading process was enjoyable.

What touched me most was Atul as an entrepreneur and as a person - his drive, perseverance, resilience, and integrity. As an immigrant, Atul did not have many resources to start a company. He showed the readers how to spot an idea, develop a business plan, then deploy it. Hard work paid off. But life was more complicated than just hard work and luck. While everything was on track, some competitors and dishonest people derailed his dream. The betray smashed Atul's company to the ground. As a reader, I felt Atul's vulnerability, angry, pain, and struggle. The betrays made him an underdog. What can an underdog do? Give in? No way. Atul not only started everything again but also created new products. While he was knocked down by unethical partners, he insisted on treating people with trust and honesty – the most crucial mentality each entrepreneur needs to have.

This book offers far more than business lessons. It is about immigration, innovation, and comeback. It is a well-edited book, and I did not find any errors. I enjoyed everything about this book. It well deserves a 4 out of 4 stars.

Underdog Thinking is a must-read for entrepreneurs around the world. Atul teaches you how to build a business from scratch. He also emphasizes the core of building a business – ethics, culture, trust, and customers. Finally, the author wants the reader to remember: even you are down like an underdog, never give in.

Underdog Thinking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The consequence of deception by Clarissa nightingale

Post by Elvis Best »

This is the second review I have read of this book today. The author certainly has something valuable to offer. I like how he started from nothing to build his business empire. Thanks for this review. Good job!
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by MarianaFigueira »

You said it perfectly: it´s totally worth reading. Thank you for the great review
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and found it quite useful. The author has beautifully narrated his experience. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”