Review by Wamakima -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wamakima
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Wamakima -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Wamakima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire; Someone's Else's End is the third installation of We Are Voulhire by Matthew Tsyz. A fantasy fiction novel, it revolves around Voulhire, Galen, and his friends. Voulhire has a new king and a new enemy. The new Eiodi might be Voulhire's only chance of survival. When the Emperor of Lullabies visits Meldorath's dreams, he wakes up startled and shaken. He realizes that he needs to accelerate his plans, and decides to travel to Soulhire. Demetrius unsuccessfully tries to get the new Eiodi's audience, after escaping from the demons in Virko. So, Galen tries hard to think of ways to help his friend Demetrius and the citizens of Virko. He convinces Demetrius and Rowan to go to Soulhire, the majestic capital of Voulhire, to seek help from the King. Galen is excited to go to Soulhire, but Rowan doesn't seem too happy to visit his hometown.

King Wilhelm is faced with a case popularly known as 'Shore against Soulhire.' Ms. Shore wants the king to allow refugees from the Land of the Princes, but Soulhire's lawyers are afraid of the potential consequences of bringing them to Voulhire. Wilhelm decides to listen to both sides of the case, before making a decision. His advisor Lucius Nartik knows the King too well to know the decision he will make. He decides to take matters into his own hands and seeks an alliance with Voulhire's worst adversary.

I like how Tsyz provides us with more information about Demetrius, Galen, and Rowan. Through each of their points of view, we get to see Rowan's difficult relationship with his family, Demetrius's real beliefs about his faith, and Galen's ability to fight. Galen as always is always trying to save his friends, and this time Demetrius foolishly imitates his friend by fighting Meldorath. We're also introduced to Lucius Nartik, the ambitious soldier who quickly rose through the ranks to become the King's special advisor. The story is action-packed from the beginning to the end. Although I had mentally prepared myself for anything to happen, Tsyz managed to surprise me with a unique plot twist.

However, there were a few editorial errors such as missing words in sentences. I also noticed a few racist descriptions. The Mianora wore "angelic white robes," while the Riva Rohavi's faces were painted "black." One of them is described as a "tall, black scarecrow," and "a black shadow." Others are "black figures with feathered masks." The Emperor's guard, the nightynight, is a "tall, dark being," with a face "like a smooth ball of black clouds." The Emperor's soldiers are "soldiers whose skin were also black, black like the nightynight." And the black rhino is "a disgusting animal." I found it offensive that Voulhire's enemies' skin tones are described as black/dark, especially in times when people of color are fighting systemic racism. The book also lacked strong female characters. Only two women were featured, Galen's guardian and Rowan's mother, who only appeared once and whose presence lasted in one or two pages.

I also didn't understand Meldorath's character. For someone who had practiced magic on children, killed Lord Orlin, and destroyed Hillport without blinking an eye, I was surprised to see that he doesn't have the "inclination to stuff out potential." I don't understand whether he's still the villain from the first two books or if the author decided to change the character. With all these noted, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to fans of fantasy and science fiction. The book contains a lot of swear words, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like to read books with obscenities.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Erin's Children by Eileen O'Finlan

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thanks for the honest review! I appreciate your point of view towards this books´ racism, I hadn´t thought about it that way.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Wamakima »

MarianaFigueira wrote: ↑14 Dec 2020, 20:59 Thanks for the honest review! I appreciate your point of view towards this books´ racism, I hadn´t thought about it that way.
At first it wasn't noticeable, but as you read along the the descriptions are cringe worthy. Thanks for stopping by!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Sou Hi »

Thank you for your honesty. Personally, I don't think that's racism. Many books and movies use black and white to emphasize the contrast between the two forces. Here, the author uses black for the Riva and the Emperor to indicate their blackness (aka evilness) against Voulhire's official guardians (aka virtue), the Mianoran knights in their white uniforms. Actually, it feels more like sarcasm, because their leader, Midius Maido, is not a very nice man himself. The fact that the Mianoran knights being killed by Riva can be seen as Voulhire's failure against the malice. Also, in book #4, you will see that there is a black-skinned paladin in Voulhire, meaning black men can also have high positions.
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This is a very nice review. Unfortunately, not a book for me.
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Body in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by RayRuff »

Wamakima wrote: ↑15 Dec 2020, 02:55
MarianaFigueira wrote: ↑14 Dec 2020, 20:59 Thanks for the honest review! I appreciate your point of view towards this books´ racism, I hadn´t thought about it that way.
At first it wasn't noticeable, but as you read along the the descriptions are cringe worthy. Thanks for stopping by!
I also had not thought about the descriptions as being a bit racist. Thank you for your review. Very interesting perspective.
“Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.”― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Upeksha »

This s e if the series that I'm eagerly waiting for reading. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. Anyway, thanks for providing such a great review!
Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Wamakima »

RayRuff wrote: ↑25 Feb 2021, 02:36
Wamakima wrote: ↑15 Dec 2020, 02:55
I also had not thought about the descriptions as being a bit racist. Thank you for your review. Very interesting perspective.
Thank you too for stopping by!
Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Wamakima »

Upeksha wrote: ↑01 Mar 2021, 08:13 This s e if the series that I'm eagerly waiting for reading. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. Anyway, thanks for providing such a great review!
Thank you too for reading my review!
Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Wamakima »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: ↑25 Feb 2021, 00:49 This is a very nice review. Unfortunately, not a book for me.
Thank you for your kind words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”