Review by AbhyarnaAman -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Review by AbhyarnaAman -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart is a story of fiction interwoven with a migration theory about the movement of early humans from Asia to North America, passing through the Bering land bridge.

A young girl, Sarah, with a not so loving and stable family, is sent to her grandfather, Tom, who was about to leave for trekking along with his friend William and William’s daughter Myra. This trek was special to Tom as he wanted to visit his grandfather’s grave who had died during a memorable trek with Tom. They could not find any suitable shelter for Sarah, who was a troublesome teenager, so they decided to take her along on the trek.

Charlie Sheldon, the author, describes the whole story in a way that you feel like being a part of it. You could actually sense the chilling weather during the trek. Each character has its own strong role to play in the story. I liked the character of Myra, who was focused, caring, smart, and stubborn in a good way. She made sure the trek was least painful and yet progressive. Having two old men and one unskilled teenager in the team, it was difficult for Myra to lead. She was also committed to her profession, beliefs, and legends of her tribe. She believed that humans existed in North America much before the migration of other humans through the Bering land bridge. On the other hand, Sergei, a young geneticist who joined the team later, only believed in the data, which were inconclusive to support Myra’s beliefs. None of them knew what fate had in store for them to discover.

The story took a turn when Sarah disappeared into the mountains during the trek. She did not have food, water, or any gear to protect her from cold and wild animals. Read the book to find out if she got killed by some wild animal or did she beat all the odds to survive.

The part of the book about ancient men is the highlight of the book. It is fascinating to read about their struggles, way of life, culture, skills, and language. The author has been successful in carving pictures of the group of 31 people who struggled for many months in a canoe, crossing the sea filled with icebergs and wild animals.

I found this book to deserve 3 out of 4 stars. The best part of it is the perfect combination of fiction and a scientific hypothesis. The author has shown creativity in naming the characters of ancient times, like ‘woman too soon’ and ‘weeps a lot’. The rating. could be increased if the author mentioned a reference to the map that was shown at the beginning of the book. It would add credibility to the book. Another minor drawback was the difficulty to identify the speakers in the story as clear demarcations were not given.

The few typological errors in the book did not deter the reading experience. It has no sexual content or profane language, although indications of sexual harassment are given. Overall readers would enjoy the flow of the story and many thrilling instances in the book.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, the author is quite good to manage a cast of 31 people. I like adventurous books, and since this sounds intriguing with the sea, icebergs, and wild animals, I think I will enjoy it very much. Thanks for your recommendation, Abhyarna.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I like that the author used anthropology to weave the story. Sounds like an exciting read. Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I also reviewed this book and I loved it very much. I like how you pointed out the expressivity of the names given by Sarah! Great job with the review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I quite liked it. Sarah’s journey is quite intriguing. Great review!
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I have a degree in anthropology and am an avid historical fiction reader so this book sounds perfect for me! I’m shocked that the author managed to include 31 characters appropriately in the story! Great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I am quite excited to read about the story where fiction is interwoven with migration theory. Thanks for your nicely written review, which gave me a clear glimpse of this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Sararob06 wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 11:09 I have a degree in anthropology and am an avid historical fiction reader so this book sounds perfect for me! I’m shocked that the author managed to include 31 characters appropriately in the story! Great review!
good to know your background. This book must serve some interesting fiction to you. The part with the story of 31 ancient characters kept me wondering for days.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

This seems like such an interesting book! Excellent review
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Noelle770 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 11:27 This seems like such an interesting book! Excellent review
Thanks for stopping by.
By Rob White
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Nice review, AbhyarnaAman
I like the title of this book. It's very appropriate. The combination of mythical and scientific themes promises a lot of excitement too.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I never counted the number of people that made the canoe journey, but it appeared a lot to me. I am surprised it were that many, though!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is one of the books I'll definitely read. Thanks for an insightful review.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 10:21 I never counted the number of people that made the canoe journey, but it appeared a lot to me. I am surprised it were that many, though!
Well, I couldn't count myself, it was somewhere told in the book itself :)
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 07:28 This is one of the books I'll definitely read. Thanks for an insightful review.
Thanks for dropping the comment
By Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”