Review by K-A-Y -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
K-A-Y
Favorite Book: The Bride Test
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Review by K-A-Y -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the ...

Post by K-A-Y »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol" by J.L. Haynes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zara Hanson and The Mystery Of The Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes is a Sci-Fi thriller about a Special Agent and the bewildering adventure she embarks on.
Zara Hanson, a quick-witted, resourceful and skilled agent gets the assignment of a lifetime. An assignment which puts her in close contact with not one, but two enigmatic characters; estranged brothers; and of course their loyal sidekicks. An encounter which would change her in ways so dynamic, her world is tilted on its axis and never remains the same. Soon enough Zara finds herself unravelling hidden secrets and depths to herself she could never have imagined. With the help of her extraordinary companions, she discovers that their meeting was not by coincidence, their lives entangling since before the dawn of time and their involvement predestined by forces beyond their control.

An unexpected gift bestowed on her, allows her to experience past lives and draw on ancient martial skills. Zara also unravels the mystery behind her birth, revealing her to be a descendant of a long line of fierce warriors charged with protecting the weak. Thus like all great warriors, Zara gets drawn into a race against time and the considerable odds stacked against her and her companions to save the world as she knows it. Luckily Zara Hanson is nothing if not ready, not only is she up to the task, but with the help of the friends she makes along the way, she has no trouble unlocking secrets long hidden to reveal the mystery behind the painted symbol.

Zara Hanson and The Mystery of The Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes is a highly complex prose of Scientific Fiction and a little bit of Espionage to spice things up. The author employs the use of philosophical theories and narratives, as well as complex metaphysical terminologies and concepts. The narration is quite formal and tends to paint abstract imagery, but the terms of expression are clear and it is not difficult to pick up the storyline.

At the beginning of the story, the imagery is a bit complex and hard to follow as the descriptions are almost too technical and the use of advanced scientific terms may stump a reader unfamiliar with them. Subsequent chapters however do not have this issue. The action is fast-paced and described curtly and succinctly, the wry witty humour of the characters are delightful to read. The chapters are not too long or exhaustive and the story is quite engaging.

J.L. Haynes in this novel, thoroughly provokes thought with his use of philosophical narratives and sends an underlying message to the reader, particularly in relation to our development as a society. One question readers will definitely ask at the conclusion of this novel is: Do we seek advancement, evolution and innovation at the expense of our conscience, environment, or those expendable elements of our society? This thoughtful reflection the author evokes is an element I quite enjoyed.

Conversely, the fast-paced action which I enjoyed throughout the story slows down towards the end and the narrative seems to drag, making the last concluding chapters a bit of work to get through. This is an element I liked the least.

My overall impression is that it is a well-written novel with hidden depths. However if you’re looking for a light, fluffy read then this is not for you. I recommend to all those who like philosophy and physics as the concepts used here rely heavily on those subjects. Although if you’re like me and don’t mind a challenge, nor frequently consulting a dictionary at most points, then you can also give this a try.

Zara Hanson and The Mystery Of The Painted Symbol for me ranks 3 out of 4 stars and would definitely push the reader looking for that contemplative read. I’m giving it a 3 and not a 4 because some of the concepts used in description are not explained or are used in abstract, so one knows next to nothing of what they depict. Consequently it is not a 2 because the story appears well-written and even professionally edited with a few errors which may be construed as subjective in most cases. Conclusively, there are no erotic scenes and the use of swearing is quite minimal and mostly subjective.

Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”