Review by Mvictoria -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Mvictoria -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Mvictoria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tom Larsen was an orphan who regularly switched schools. Finding chess, for him, meant his first taste of structure. At fourteen, he could often beat the older, more seasoned players in the weekly tournament. He can recall the exact day he met Regina Russo while playing chess. This meeting would change his life forever, though he didn’t know it yet.

Regina Russo is a beautiful physics professor at Northern University. She explains to Ron that physics is “Figuring out how things work.” Ron sees Regina occasionally, and we follow Ron through high school, where he pushes himself to get the opportunity to be in Regina’s classes. It is clear from these classes that Regina has some ideas that differ from other physicists. As we follow Ron, he lives a normal life and goes about his daily business after high school. One day, he finds Regina on his front porch. She offers him a grand opportunity. Will Ron take this opportunity? What is Regina’s interest in Ron? Will Regina’s ideas about physics lead Ron to ruin or riches? Find out in Timewise, by Robert Leet.

Timewise may be fiction, but the science behind it is very real. I enjoyed reading about the science of physics so much, and it actually made me look up physics experiments to learn a little more. At first, I was a little overwhelmed by the idea of reading a physics-heavy text, as I’m more of a social science lover, but I found most of the science to be fairly easy to comprehend. It did take me a little time to read and re-read some parts of the book to grasp the science behind it, but Leet does a great job explaining complex physical concepts in basic terms.

Filled with rich descriptions of characters and New England towns, Leet’s book is beautifully written to keep readers turning pages. I have to admit I stayed up late most nights devouring this book! I enjoyed the elaborate architectural descriptions almost as much as I enjoyed the depth of character development. Leet also has a witty, sarcastic writing style that had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. The only problem I had with this book was one of Ron’s relationships that I felt could have been more fleshed out.

Because I loved this book so much and had only one minor issue with it, I’m happy to give Timewise four out of four stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and it even sparked several interesting conversations with my husband, who I hope will read the book for himself. The book does have a few curse words, but they are very sparse and not overdone. I found only a couple of minor errors. I think this book would be great for all ages and those with varied interests. Timewise was one of my first sci-fi books, and it was a great introduction to the genre.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I used to think this book was about how time flew or even time travel. However, your review just proved otherwise. I am already looking forward to reading this book to know more about the grand opportunity Ron was offered. Thank you for this wonderful review
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

Nedbrian wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 07:03 I am already looking forward to reading this book to know more about the grand opportunity Ron was offered. Thank you for this wonderful review
I hope you will love this book as much as I did!
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

The fictional time travel aspect of the novel sounds fantastic and would have me hooked to the book. The phyics jargon might be a hard no no for me but it might be a suspenseful page-turner for someone who has a deeper understanding for physics topics.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

Ron's life changed for the better as a result of Regina entering it, therefore her arrival was undoubtedly a blessing. I liked reading this since it was motivating. Good work.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”