Review by Ladybug1516 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ladybug1516
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug1516.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Review by Ladybug1516 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ladybug1516 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell is a world-renowned surgeon, who has just left a fellow climber on a mountain to die; however, the world knows him as a kind and caring doctor who has saved thousands of lives. McDowell is in line to be appointed a seat on the President’s cabinet when a family disaster strikes. McDowell is forced to make the decision of doing the right thing or doing what he thinks is best. The choice he makes sends him into hiding and on the run from multiple people including law enforcement and news reporters. McDowell is suddenly stripped of everything he believes he is entitled to and is forced to restructure his life.

After reading McDowell by William H. Coles, I give it four out of four stars. While there were some grammatical errors, they did not take away from the flow of the book. Coles had me so interested in the life of Hiram that it was difficult to put this book down. It kept me thinking about humanity, the roles we all take in each other’s lives, and how much there is to learn in life. The supporting characters were well-developed and left me missing them when Hiram moved on to the next phase in his journey.

One of the things that I liked most about McDowell is how Coles made the reader hate Hiram from the beginning of the book. Most of the time, the author wants the reader to fall in love with the main character; however, Coles did a great job of making the reader despise and dislike Hiram from the very beginning. There was nothing I disliked about the book. It was very well-edited and exceptionally well-written.

McDowell is a story about self-discovery and redemption. It teaches us how we, as humans, are easily ready to forgive those who we dislike when we see that they are trying to improve themselves. For example, the reader starts off hating Hiram but soon begins to love him as they read about his journey of self-discovery, grief and how he is trying to rebuild his reputation.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an inspiring read that you can just sit back and enjoy. I was shocked by the ending and ultimately found myself rooting for Hiram. Hats off to Coles for his incredible writing and ability to change the reader’s perspective in just over 300 pages.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
sanjus
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 390
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Walking the Tightrope by Angel L. Gonzalez
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

A story about self-discovery and redemption looks interesting. The eagerness of humans to forgive some one and give a chance to improve is nice observation. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”