Review by cydnas -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by cydnas -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise by Robert Leet depicts Ron’s journey of growing from a thirteen-year-old orphan playing chess to an adult having, in no particular order, a love life, a school life, and a work-life. Throughout this journey, he has interactions with many female characters that are brilliant in their own ways. They provide new experiences for him, boosting his development as a person and student.

I enjoyed the strong female characters in Timewise immensely as these characters had passions and work ethics. On the other hand, the protagonist, Ron, lacked personal ambition. Other characters pushed him towards new environments such as the wilderness, college, New York City, and Foxfield to name a few, but he was rarely ever proactive. I would’ve liked to see more of Ron’s dedication towards his own desires and goals, rather than him helping others reach their goals.

Unlike previous books I’ve read, I gratefully found that connecting with the majority of the characters of this book was quite natural to do since the pacing was not too fast, not too slow. It was fast enough for me to feel intrigued by the events but slow enough for me to grow attached to the characters, especially Regina and her mysteriousness. I also enjoyed the style; it had the perfect balance of dialogue and description. The author, Leet, even included some sketches to supplement the conversations about physics.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of two weak points. It may not be every reader’s cup of tea, and the protagonist was on the weaker side in terms of characterization. It has a decent amount of content about physics since it is the focal point of most of the conversations between Regina and Ron. With that in mind, I would recommend this book for adults, especially those who are interested in physics. I’d also like to mention that there is a small but existing amount of profanity and sexual scenes, making it even less suitable for younger audiences.

Overall, Leet has created a wonderful book, in terms of editing and plot, that I couldn’t put down. Although it is considered a science fiction book, it utilizes a great amount of knowledge we know today to generate more fictional concepts, making this book reasonable and somewhat fathomable. When the book ended, I wished there was more. All these characters had so much life and energy that one cannot help but want to see how they progress.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”