Review by Bibliogn0st -- Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Review by Bibliogn0st -- Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS

Post by Bibliogn0st »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS" by Laura Moss White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS : Substitutes Teaching Cartoons From Real Life by Laura Moss White is a collection of hilarious misadventures of substitute teachers. With 15 years of substitute teaching experience at hand, the author has a lot of hysterical, yet memorable moments to share. She encompasses these humorous instances in square boxes or ‘snips’ filled with black and white cartoonish characters. Each box illustrates an incident that every substitute teacher must have experienced at least once in their lifetime.

Substitutes are bombarded with gigantic to-do lists; as if they are some kind of robots that can get the work done in a jiffy. Despite their hard work they are denied the benefits of a teacher. Regular teachers do not allow them to eat or sit with them. They are regarded as ‘guest teachers’ and constantly alienated from the rest of the teaching staff. Even the principal of the school give them a hard time and punish them harshly for minor mistakes.

Female substitutes fall prey to male students and teachers' offensive and sexual comments. The PAs give subs a hard time while explaining to them their duties. They give them vague instructions about their job and warns them to not use any of the regular teachers' stuff. They are informed that they have been allotted a new subbing assignment at the last minute. Sometimes, they are surprised with a subbing duty for a field trip. The students do not give them any respect at all. They shamelessly kiss, fight and play pranks in front of them. Even the security guard denies helping the poor subs.

The book is packed with funny pictures along with speech bubbles, which make it look like a comic book. Another amazing thing is that it can be used as a colouring book as well. It is very easy to identify the characters as they wear nametags with ‘SUBS’, ‘TEACHER’ and ‘PA’ written on them.

My favourite snip is the one in which the principal refers to subs as “walking wounded” and there are a bunch of subs walking like zombies in the background. There is nothing that I disliked about the book. After reading it, I realised how underappreciated are these heroes, who work so hard to keep the school running in the absence of regular teachers. They deserve to be rewarded for their service.

The book can be read in a single sitting. There are no erotic scenes or profanity in the text, which makes the book suitable for every age group. I did not find any error, hence the book is professionally edited. Perhaps I was enjoying the book so much that I wasn’t paying enough attention to the errors.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who is pursuing the same profession. Students should also read this book so that they can appreciate their substitute teachers. This is a perfect choice for people who want to read a comic book and have good laughs. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Oh, this must a masterpiece. I am putting it on my to-read list. Awesome review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”