Review by damis -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by damis -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the advantages of long stories is the way the reader can dig into the character's origins and the way it shapes who they currently are. Sometimes, a well-built background is a key to keep sagas exciting and plots going smoothly, even throughout the entire saga. I believe this is the case with We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz, the third book of the series We are Voulhire.

In this book, even though we still follow Galen's storyline, Rowan and his background take particular importance for the plot. This time, Galen and his friends travel to Soulhire, seeking an audience with the King. Naturally, things were not as easy as they were supposed to be, and they have to take advantage of Rowan's family to accomplish the task. Eventually, it is Rowan's mother who makes such an audience possible.

By now, it is well known how talented the author is, so it would be redundant to talk about this in this review. However, it is worth mentioning this book didn't let me down. The descriptions are just as good as they were in his previous books, and the world-building is beautiful. I loved how every character gets the attention deserved. While there are clear protagonists in the story, the development is outstanding for all the characters and not just the main ones. There's nothing better for me than a character-driven story.

The only thing I don't like is the link at the beginning of the book. I think the book would benefit from a small summary or a guide for the characters included in the book instead. After a while, it gets annoying having to click a link to get into a webpage to find information. It would be easy to include it in the book itself.

It is evident to me that the book is edited by a professional, and I have no complaints about it. It is easy for me to rate the book four out of four stars. The issue I previously mentioned is not annoying enough for me to change my rating.

If you like fantasy and political intrigues with a fair share of action and drama, I think you will enjoy this book and the saga in general. However, considering this is the third book, I would suggest reading the first two books before picking up this one. It is fair to mention that profanity is present. Violence is also notorious enough to consider it. Adult readers would handle it without issues at all, though. Nothing different from the previous books.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your nice review. This series is one of the most interesting and well-developed series I have read, though the first few books are quite gruesome with the bloody scenes.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

In my opinion, this book is the most action-packed in the series :) And I loved the battle rhinos! lol Thanks for a great review!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I'm now reading the second book of the series and I'm glad to read that the following book is just as engaging! Great review 🙂
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds extremely enthralling and fascinating. I have not read the previous installments in the series, though. I look forward to following the story from the first book. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”