Review by RHD -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by RHD -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The King of May is one ugly despot. Moreover, he's the god of sunlight and one heck of a dancer. In fact, he demands that his subjects keep dancing - especially when in his presence. Oak gave him a very significant power and most of the post turn survivors know it. This has gotten to his head.

A one time slaver and teacher, Markus, better known as Cattleprod, catches his attention. Word gets to him that he is expanding his territory and is actually a formidable threat. Then there's this duo consisting of Ashley and Scholar - a graduate of The Sniper's Institute for Mercenary Operations (SIMO). They are well known for murdering the creator of all this madness, Oak himself. They have been quite busy courtesy of their reputation. Will these leaders of the post turn period join hands? Will The King of May have the final say?

Matthew Tysz has really tried on this one. The characterization is on point. Even insignificant fellows like Alden and Old Vermon have a place in this book. In terms of characters, Ashley and Scholar did it for me. They promoted the themes of strong friendship and loyalty. Most of us know these virtues are rare nowadays. This pair was full of adventure and exploration. The women characters were also strong on this one. Right from the beginning, we see Princess Justine, then there's Derma - the goddess of flesh. Ella Hale is the major female character and is even part of the final battle.

Speaking of the final battle, this was actually my favorite part. Matthew did well on the plot, but he did exceedingly well on the ending. The book comes alive in this battle and it's spontaneous and catchy. We see various characters acting abnormally when faced with war. I also enjoyed the conversation between Cognito - the god of knowledge - and Dr. Mallory on the issue of Congo. I liked that Africa was discussed in this book as well as the theme of neo-colonialism. I do hope Matthew graces us with a third book in "The Turn" series.

There's not much I disliked about this book. The only thing I disliked is the character of The King of May himself. In my opinion, it's a bit stretched. If a being like him did actually exist, the world would probably be inhabitable. He is inconsiderate, very malicious and the true definition of evil. Otherwise, I found less than five errors. This indicates that the book was well-edited. In fact, these few errors did in no way distract me from my enjoyable reading. I don't think the character of the king and those very few errors warranted the loss of a star. Therefore, I give this piece of art a full-rating of 4 out of 4 stars!

I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy. This story is not like any you have read before. The plot and the characters keep developing. However, I don't recommend it for very young readers and strongly religious ones. There are various violence scenes and a bit of profanity and erotic content. I have to say, though, it's not too much as to distract a mature reader. On matters religion, there might be a little blasphemy, though that is debatable. Having said that, this is a good read for anyone with an open mind. The writing style is simple and the flow is commendable.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”