Review by klbradley -- Flicker World by Brian Cramer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 98
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 390
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: Celeste by Penelope Moon
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- Flicker World by Brian Cramer

Post by klbradley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Flicker World" by Brian Cramer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flicker World is a modern-day science fiction novel written by Brian Cramer and published in 2016. The main character in the story is Mark Scottsdale. At the beginning of the story, Mark is just starting to get his life in order by landing a fantastic dream job he's always hoped for and marrying his long-time girlfriend, Lisa.

Although there are some top secret aspects to the government-funded projects with his new job, Mark's substantial salary seems to be enough for him and Lisa to afford the home of their dreams, despite rumors of there being lingering ghosts present. When his work starts picking up, Mark and Lisa begin to feel a steady drift in their relationship, bubbling to an eruption on the day of Mark's big work presentation. However, his excitement over a well-presented plan to his colleagues is short-lived by a police officer's arrival with news of his wife's death. Mark stumbles around in a daze before concluding that he can illegally access a technological suit that will allow him to transport between worlds to find an alternate-dimension version of Lisa. The dangers that follow are nail-biting and nerve-wracking.

The imagination needed to procure a story of this extent is truly remarkable and impressive. I could feel the main character's painful loss as if I were experiencing it too, while also feeling a sense of fear for his safety and the alterations that could come to both dimensions by his physical transfer between them. Mark's character displayed a dark sense of humor that I enjoyed, while he presented a sense of seriousness when necessary.

Along with the well-developed story, I was impressed with how well-edited the story was. The book was clearly examined to be void of any spelling or grammatical errors. My favorite part of the story was the visual presented that although Mark was determined to be able to see his wife again, his fear of causing a negative butterfly effect was present in all of his decisions. Mark's character was immediately easy to like, specifically when his humor was on full display. There were also secondary characters who helped to form the story in a memorable way. Mark's best friend, Pyrb, was one to mention, as his dark hacking abilities were impressive.

I'm pleased to rate Flicker World 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this story to anyone who enjoys the world of science fiction, especially when there are emotional drives for the decisions made by characters. The descriptive components of the story were so well-presented that I felt like I was visually experiencing all of the occurrences as they were happening. Flicker World is an exciting story that kept me on my toes until the end.

Flicker World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”