Review by Magnify3 -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Magnify3 -- How To Be Successful

Post by Magnify3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you want to know how to be a success? I have just the right book for you to read. How To Be Successful – Think Like A Leader is a motivational and inspirational book by M. Curtis McCoy. It is a non-fiction book written for a general audience of people that desire to improve their lives.

The author is an American entrepreneur who lost everything after being diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour. The doctors gave him only 60-90 days to live. Not only did he survive cancer, but he went on to open a cellular store that is now a nationwide business. Apart from being an entrepreneur, McCoy is a business development expert, an influencer, author, and keynote speaker.

The 185-page book is an easy read and has 27 chapters. It is well written and thought-provoking. McCoy not only tells his story but interviews other leaders from different walks of life who had equally experienced struggles or failure but now live successful lives. Not given to reading motivational books, I expected them all to be entrepreneurs. These leaders were a Navy seal sniper, a Pastor, Ex-Prisoner turned Publisher, Musician, an Author, and the CMO of best Cellular (McCoy’s mother).

One of the best things about the book is how each leader seems to have a similar definition of success that is not money-related. Some of them had even read the same books by the same authors. They were intentional in their daily improvement and able to admit a weakness that needed to be correcting. What stood out to me was that most of them valued both faith and family time.

McCoy also shares the laws of success with true-life examples that are relatable and easy to understand. He challenges the reader right from the start in the second chapter titled: What is your excuse? I couldn’t agree more with the author when I read the following statement on page 8: “The challenge for many people is not finding their goal but deciding to pursue it.”

I found the book helpful and refreshing. What I liked most was the author’s intent to inspire many through leaders with different backgrounds. I enjoyed how he conversationally writes his book. You can feel with him and go along with him on his life’s journey as he describes things he learnt, overcame and even how he learnt to say no.

What I didn’t really like was the long interview by the Navy Seal Sniper. It was very descriptive; but long that I felt a bit tired. Fortunately, it was at the beginning of the book, so I was able to move on quickly after that.

This book is rated 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to have been professionally edited and had no errors. It contained no profanity or sexual content. I would gladly recommend this book to readers of motivational books, people in leadership, and anyone looking for inspiration.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review. I love inspirational and motivational books. This book is definitely a book for everyone because we all want to be successful.
Happie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happie01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Happie01 »

Thanks for this review. I would definitely like to read this book. Inspirational books always inspire me to be a better person.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

We could all use tips on how to be more motivated and driven, something that we all struggle with from time to time. This seems like a great read, and very inspirational. Thank you so much for the recommendation!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 13:36 Great review. I love inspirational and motivational books. This book is definitely a book for everyone because we all want to be successful.
Thanks for taking time to read my review. This is really a good book to read. I hope that you get the chance to read it.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Happie01 wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 02:54 Thanks for this review. I would definitely like to read this book. Inspirational books always inspire me to be a better person.
Thanks for taking time to read my review. I hope that you get the chance to read it.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Ashley-Osuna wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 15:22 We could all use tips on how to be more motivated and driven, something that we all struggle with from time to time. This seems like a great read, and very inspirational. Thank you so much for the recommendation!
Thanks for taking time to read my review. I hope that you get the chance to read it.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Given their different professions, it was interesting that some of them not only read the same books by the same authors but actually mentioned them in their interviews. That sounds like must-read material!

Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Books that help one to grow are always welcome on my bookshelf. Thanks for the great review and recommendation.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

You have to admire this author for all that he accomplished after his horrible diagnosis. Most people would just give up. This sounds like a very motivational book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I suppose it all depends on your definition of success. All in all, it sounds like a good book if you are willing to read a self-help book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

This sounds like an invaluable resource for everyone who prefer the genre. I commend the author for focusing on such an important topic. Thanks for the great review!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This seems to offer some really practical advice. I like that the examples were drawn from real-life experiences that are relatable and easy to understand.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An interesting book that offers food for thought about success and failure told by the author and other people with a diverse background. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 19:10 Given their different professions, it was interesting that some of them not only read the same books by the same authors but actually mentioned them in their interviews. That sounds like must-read material!

Thank you for your thorough review.
Yes, that is so true. I wondered how they all read and mentioned the same books by the same authors.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”