Review by Gwapings -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gwapings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwapings.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Gwapings -- How To Be Successful

Post by Gwapings »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

M. Curtis Mccoy’s How to be successful: think like a leader, has an overall perspective that when you surround yourself with successful people, you begin to animate them and generate ideas from their experience. People idolize successful individuals, and they try imitating them, but that is not how life works. This book is not only about being wealthy but guiding the readers to discover their own version of success.

The structure of this book is what I liked most. It is an anthology of life experiences from the author and the people he encountered. This book is ideal for those who want to have a daily dose of positivity from real-life experiences. Well, I did like Curtis’ mom because when she was interviewed about what keeps her awake, I realized that all mothers are the same and that has stricken me until this day, it makes me want to go to my mom’s house and hug her gently.

The book also did an amazing job on its writing mechanics. It is an excellent piece in terms of its conciseness, the use of clear language let alone the evident use of proficient language. No misspelled words, typographical, or grammar errors; neither inappropriate language nor profanity is found in this book which makes me conclude that it is professionally edited.

What I disliked most is how the narratives were organized. When we talk about effective writing, it must be clear and is in a logical organization. I find it hard to determine what principle of organization this book has because for chapters 1-3, the organization is climactic but as I continue reading, it changes into the topical organization. People retain things when it is written directionally. I also noticed that apart from his mother, Connie Wyatt, no other woman was featured in this book. Although there is nothing wrong with it, readers may tend to conclude that in the world of success, men dominate. Take some time to reconsider women’s own version of success.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I love most of the content which I think is great, but it needs a little work in terms of its organization. Nevertheless, this book has taught me a lot about life in general because this book is a reminder that anyone can succeed in life if they want to. It is ideal for everybody, but I think this book should be read by young adults. It will guide them to figuring out their purpose and success in life.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I will definitely read this one, I'm hearing very many positive opinions on this book :) Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”