Review by emidio125 -- Last Dance by Stephen Manning

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by emidio125 -- Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by emidio125 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Dance" by Stephen Manning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Dance by Stephen Manning, is an autobiographical work in which the author tells the story of his family with special attention to his beloved wife (Mary Ann Manning), who died of breast cancer. With this book, he seeks to honor his beloved wife, who according to the author was an incredible wife and an even better mother.

One of the most remarkable aspects you come up with while you are reading this book, is the admiration that the author has for his wife, Stephen has Mary in very high regard and that is understandable, as I believe that whoever reads this book, and gets the opportunity to meet Marry Ann Manning, will also admire her. She was certainly an incredible woman and I dare to say that she was the best thing that happened in Stephen Manning's life.

This book shows us how important the family is to everyone, and gives us the real meaning of the term family by introducing us to a family that tried to live happily their life in the best way they could. However, the story is also very emotional, since the author did not mind narrating both the happiest moments of his family and the saddest moments. I have to cofess that there were moments where tears would fall from my eyes as I was reading the story, due to the sad part of it, and I believe many will face the same sadness I faced in those moments.

Furthermore, I cannot fail to congratulate the author, he is a very talented writer, the story was very well constructed, the storyline, the characters, and the descriptive details are very well developed. However, given that the author said the book was written with his wife in mind, I thought the book ended up being about the whole family, and not meanly about her. another aspect was the use of the adjective phrase "loving mother" to describe the main character. I believe that the author used it to highlight the real importance of the main character, but I think it was overused at some point in the story.

I think this book is recommended for families, I believe that by reading this book, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and so on, will learn to value more and cherish the family they have. The book is very well written and edited. I hardly found any mistakes and for that I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars .

Last Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I'd seen this book as BOTD and was intrigued by its premise.
I especially love how in your review here, you mentioned that the storyline, the characters, and the descriptive details were very well developed. Thank you for your in-depth and great review!
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

You've made this sound like a really lovely story. I'll have to give it a once over.
emidio125
Currently Reading:

Post by emidio125 »

:drool: 4
SamaylaM wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 21:32 I'd seen this book as BOTD and was intrigued by its premise.
I especially love how in your review here, you mentioned that the storyline, the characters, and the descriptive details were very well developed. Thank you for your in-depth and great review!
Your comments are very meaningful to me. Thank you!
emidio125
Currently Reading:

Post by emidio125 »

Mr_Wimbaum wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 02:47 You've made this sound like a really lovely story. I'll have to give it a once over.
I tried to do my best. Thanks for your comments.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

The author really cared for his wife to write a book about her. I liked he stressed importance of family and tried to bring it down to the best possible way. Great review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It was courageous of the author to include both the happy parts of his life and the sad ones as well. I doubt I will read this one as you say it will almost inevitably bring about tears, but we'll see. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have seen this on BOTD and I thought it was really a touching story with an important message to tell.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great read for family stories lovers :) I love memoirs and would definitely give this one a try. Thanks for a great review!
emidio125
Currently Reading:

Post by emidio125 »

Fabulous mind wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 23:08 The author really cared for his wife to write a book about her. I liked he stressed importance of family and tried to bring it down to the best possible way. Great review.
Thanks for your comment
emidio125
Currently Reading:

Post by emidio125 »

Kelyn wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:12 It was courageous of the author to include both the happy parts of his life and the sad ones as well. I doubt I will read this one as you say it will almost inevitably bring about tears, but we'll see. Thanks for the review!
I hope you decide to read. Thanks for passing by and living your comments.
emidio125
Currently Reading:

Post by emidio125 »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 06:11 I have seen this on BOTD and I thought it was really a touching story with an important message to tell.
You thought, do you mean that you no longer think it does?
emidio125
Currently Reading:

Post by emidio125 »

Ellylion wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 07:57 Sounds like a great read for family stories lovers :) I love memoirs and would definitely give this one a try. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for your comments, and I hope you enjoy the book when you decide to read it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”