Review by shinypuppies -- Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shinypuppies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinypuppies.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Review by shinypuppies -- Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by shinypuppies »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superbugs" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a world filled with deadly viruses and a heartless government, nothing is easy. In the year 2090, everybody wishes for a different life. Experiments are run on babies, the homeless, and other “volunteers” forced to take part in finding a cure. Many are killed by the viruses injected in them. Those who survive, are continuously tortured with the suffering of the dreaded sicknesses. This chain of events was set off by none other than the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020. By using reality to weave this fictitious setting, Tamya Tameem adds a unique twist to future dystopian novels.

Superbugs follows the path of several prominent characters. Lily Brayburn is a leader in her building who meets a young, pregnant fugitive named Mabel. Together they work to outsmart Faulkner, an arrogant man who has his eyes set out to take down Lily. On a separate yet connected path, Mabel’s husband, 11.22 faces his own struggles. He attempts to escape, longing to get back to Mabel and his soon to be child, soon meeting Victor Stark. Victor is known as the Angel of Death, the one who administers the virus injections to the innocent prisoners. However, his compassionate heart longs for a better world, a different job, and a need for change. Gloria and Lupita have their own fight against each other. Both are formidable women who yearn to be more powerful than the other.

This book was a highly enjoyable read. The multiple conflicts kept me engaged, turning the pages, and wanting more. It was surprisingly easy to follow the story despite the multiple journeys of the characters. Tameem did a wonderful job organizing the story and keeping it appealing. The story was both meaningful and entertaining. Its reflections to the real world of Covid-19 brought up some notable themes and warnings of what the future world could be.

I enjoyed much of this book; however, it was a bit difficult to connect emotionally with most of the characters. The protagonists were likable, but I could not connect to them on a deeper level. This was the only part of the story I disliked, and I would recommend this book to all sci-fi and dystopian lovers.

With its exceptional writing and editing, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves no less because it was such a fun and entertaining read. The conflicts were a terrific attribution to the book, making it much more interesting. The cliffhanger at the end was the perfect ending to the book and I am excited to continue the series when the second book comes out. With very little instances of profanity and slight moments of violence, this book would be great for older children, teens, and adults.

Superbugs
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”